AMU1O Music – Grade 9 (Open)
GRADE: 9 (Open)
AVAILABILITY: Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: The Arts
AMU1O online emphasizes the creation and performance of music at a level consistent with previous experience and is aimed at developing technique, sensitivity, and imagination. Students will develop musical literacy skills by using the creative and critical analysis processes in composition, performance, and a range of reflective and analytical activities. In AMU1O online, students will develop an understanding of the conventions and elements of music and of safe practices related to music and will develop a variety of skills transferable to other areas of their life.
UNIT ONEFoundations of Music
- In this unit, students will be introduced to the elements of music and their respective roles in various musical pieces. Students will explore concepts and vocabulary related to rhythm, melody, timbre, texture and form, in relation to contemporary music. In doing so, students will practice and apply the critical analysis process to a range of different musical styles and genres, and work towards sharpening their active listening skills.
UNIT TWORhythmic Basics
- In this unit, students will learn and apply concepts and skills related to rhythm. Students will study a variety of note and rest values, and learn how to notate and play basic rhythms. Students will also compose their own original rhythms in a collaborative capacity.
UNIT THREENotation & Performance
- In this unit, students will be introduced to the basics of musical notation and performance, both in the context of the primary musical instrument of their choice. Students will learn how to properly set-up, hold and play notes on their instrument. They will also learn how to discern between tones, semitones and accidentals on a score, on both the treble and bass clefs. Students will write and perform major and minor scale patterns, as well as compose original melodies based on these scale patterns.
UNIT FOURMusic & Society - Past, Present and Future
- In this unit, students will be introduced to the social and historical significance of music from various time periods and various cultures and societies around the world. Students will be introduced to the major periods of European music and will be able to identify key aspects of Renaissance, Baroque and Classical forms. They will listen to and critically analyze pieces of music from these musical periods, as well as those from a wide range of world cultures. Students will explore a range of genres and styles from 20th-century popular music, and apply their knowledge through independent research.
UNIT FIVEComposition & Music Technology
- In this unit, students will be introduced to the basic principles of composition and digital music recording. Students will use various digital recording technologies to collaborate on an original musical composition. In doing so, students will work through the composition process and apply their understanding of musical elements studied throughout the course. Finally, students will engage in the creative process to submit a final composition.
- This project is the final evaluation for AMU1O online. The purpose of this assignment is for students to apply their knowledge, skill and creativity in music towards an original, creative musical project.