AP Preparation English Language and Composition
AVAILABILITY: Blyth Academy Online
Please Note: This is a preparation course only. A credit will not be issued by Blyth Academy Online. Students wishing to earn an Advanced Placement credit must write the official AP exam that is administered by the College Board.
The AP English Language and Composition online course aligns with an introductory college-level rhetoric and writing curriculum, which requires students to develop evidence-based analytic and argumentative essays that proceed through several stages or drafts. Students evaluate, synthesize, and cite research to support their arguments. Throughout the course, students develop a personal style by making appropriate grammatical choices. Additionally, students read and analyze the rhetorical elements and their effects in non-fiction texts, including graphic images as forms of text, from many disciplines and historical periods.
UNIT ONEIntroduction To Rhetoric
- In this unit, students will explore rhetoric by investigating the many different approaches to shaping an argument, understanding their audience, establishing a purpose and investigating style. This unit will provide students with the foundations for the course, by preparing them with the analytical tools to explore various texts.
UNIT TWOEducation, Community & Economy
- In this unit, students will be provided with the opportunity to explore issues in Education and Community through the rhetorical analysis of various texts. Students will also continue to explore how to analyze arguments (from reading to writing).
UNIT THREEGender & Sports
- In this unit, students will be provided with the opportunity to explore issues in Gender and Sports through the rhetorical analysis of various texts.
UNIT FOURLanguage & Popular Culture
- In this unit, students will be provided with the opportunity to explore issues in Language and Pop Culture through the rhetorical analysis of various texts.
UNIT FIVEEnvironment and Politics
- In this unit, students will be provided with the opportunity to explore issues in Environment and Politics through the rhetorical analysis of various texts.
- This project is one of the final tasks of AP English Language and Composition online. This project will provide students with an opportunity to practice a writing task discussed in this course.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of the course. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are two options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email email@example.com if you need assistance.