AP Preparation English Literature and Composition
AVAILABILITY: Blyth Academy Online
Please Note: This is a preparation course only. A credit will not be issued by Blyth Academy Online. Students wishing to earn an Advanced Placement credit must write the official AP exam that is administered by the College Board.
The AP English Literature and Composition online course aligns with an introductory post-secondary level literary analysis course. The course engages students in the close reading and critical analysis of imaginative literature to deepen their understanding of the ways writers use language to provide both meaning and pleasure. As they read, students consider a work’s structure, style, and themes, as well as its use of figurative language, imagery, symbolism, and tone. Writing assignments include expository, analytical, and argumentative essays that require students to analyze and interpret literary works.
UNIT ONEThinking About Literature
- In this unit, students will be provided with the foundations for the course, by preparing them with the analytical tools to explore various texts.
UNIT TWOClose Reading
- In this unit, students will learn what close reading, or explication of text is. Students will analyze the elements of style to figure out how a writer’s stylistic choices convey their work’s message. Students will also learn about special consideration for reading poetry closely. This unit will also cover annotation.
UNIT THREEHome, Identity & Culture
- In this unit, students will discuss several strategies to help them become more active readers, students will also be provided with opportunities to practice annotation. Students will learn about graphic organizers, which are another approach to close reading. Students will closely analyze a poem themselves.
UNIT FOURConformity & Rebellion
- In this unit, students will explore how the themes of conformity and rebellion are represented in a broad range of literary works.
UNIT FIVEIndependent Study Unit
- In this unit, students will explore a work to demonstrate their understanding of the big ideas and enduring understandings.
- This project is one of the final evaluations of AP English Literature and Composition online. This project will challenge students’ knowledge of concepts learned in this course and is worth 10% of the final grade.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of the course. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are two options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email email@example.com if you need assistance.