AWQ4M Visual Arts: Photography – Grade 12 (University/College)
PREREQUISITE: Visual Arts: Photography, Grade 11, University/College Preparation
GRADE: 12 (University/College)
AVAILABILITY: Full-time – All Campuses, Private – All campuses, Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: The Arts
AWQ4M online focuses on enabling students to refine their use of the creative process when creating and presenting two- and three-dimensional artworks using a variety of traditional and emerging media and technologies. Students will use the critical analysis process to deconstruct artworks and explore connections between art and society. The studio program enables students to explore a range of materials, processes, and techniques that can be applied in their own art production. Students will also make connections between various works of art in personal, contemporary, historical, and cultural contexts. AWQ4M online will focus on photography.
UNIT ONECamera Basics
- In this unit, students learn how to expose an image three different ways by altering the ISO, Shutter Speed or the Aperture of my camera. Students will learn how to create a shallow or extended depth of field (DOF) and how to capture motion.
UNIT TWORights and Masters
- In this unit, students will learn about the legal elements of taking a photograph and will study three Masters of photography and write a visual essay about these Master photographers and their identifiable style.
UNIT THREESkills & Composition
- In this unit, students will be introduced to composition guidelines and camera techniques to achieve an artful representation of their photography. Students will engage in snapping images for specific purposes, learning camera techniques that will increase their awareness of shooting in shutter, aperture or manual priority. Students will be introduced to techniques like zoom blur and panning that use camera and lens movement along with camera settings adjustments that permit students to adjust for a specific purpose. Students will learn to convert colour images to B/W images, stitch images together, and blend several images together in post-production software. Students will learn compositional strategies to frame their subject and how to capture their subject and its shadow.
UNIT FOURArt Criticism
- In this unit, students will learn how to write a criticism of an image they consider to be a work of art.
UNIT FIVECreative Photography
- In this unit, students will learn to blend compositional guidelines and will explore genre (Landscape, Macro, Abstract, Architecture, Nature, etc.), Sense of Place, Painting with Light, and direct a Fashion Shoot. Students will also learn about David Hockney and create a sample of media art using photographs shot as the medium.
- This project is the final evaluation of AWQ4M online. Students’ work in this assignment will showcase what they have learned in this course, it is worth 30% of their final grade.