CGC1D Issues in Canadian Geography – Grade 9 (Academic)
GRADE: 9 (Academic)
AVAILABILITY: Full-time – All Campuses, Private – All campuses, Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Canadian and World Studies
CGC1D online examines interrelationships within and between Canada’s natural and human systems and how these systems interconnect with those in other parts of the world. Students will explore environmental, economic, and social geographic issues relating to topics such as transportation options, energy choices, and urban development. In CGC1D online, students will apply the concepts of geographic thinking and the geographic inquiry process, including spatial technologies, to investigate various geographic issues and to develop possible approaches for making Canada a more sustainable place in which to live.
UNIT ONEIntroduction to Canadian Geography Online
- In this unit, students will become familiar with basic concepts in Canadian Geography while simultaneously developing the skills required to be successful in this online format.
UNIT TWOA Geographer's Essentials
- In this unit, students will use the geographic inquiry process and the concepts of geographic thinking when investigating issues relating to Canadian geography. Students will be able to apply in everyday contexts skills, including spatial technology skills, developed through the investigation of Canadian geography, and identify some careers in which a background in geography might be an asset.
UNIT THREECanada's Physical Environment
- In this unit, students will develop an understanding of plate tectonics. Students will understand how Canada’s physical diversity is connected to the geological development. Students will explain the rock cycle and be able to identify and describe the four eras.
UNIT FOURPatterns in Population and Immigration
- In this unit, students will look at patterns in Canada’s population and assess the implications of these trends in local, national, and global contexts. Students will have the opportunity to analyze geographic issues associated with population demographics and settlement patterns and to assess strategies that could be used to address the economic, environmental, social, and political implications of an ageing and increasingly diverse population.
UNIT FIVEThe Canadian Economy
- In this unit, students will look at the availability of natural resources in Canada as well as the development of natural resources in Canada. Student will examine trade relationships with other countries and they will examine the economic development of the country.
UNIT SIXSustainable Communities
- In this unit, students will recognize how the infrastructure of a community can affect its livability and its environmental, economic, and social sustainability. Issues relating to land use, urban growth, and human systems will be analyzed. Students will have the opportunity to develop strategies for making their community a more sustainable place in which to live.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of CGC1D online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are two options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email email@example.com if you need assistance.