CHA3U American History – Grade 11 (University)
PREREQUISITE: Canadian History since World War I, Grade 10, Academic or Applied
GRADE: 11 (University)
AVAILABILITY: Full-time – All Campuses, Private – All campuses, Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Canadian and World Studies
CHA3U online explores key aspects of the social, economic, and political development of the United States from pre-contact to the present. Students will examine the contributions of groups and individuals to the country’s evolution and will explore the historical context of key issues, trends, and events that have had an impact on the United States, its identity and culture, and its role in the global community. In CHA3U online, students will extend their ability to apply the concepts of historical thinking and the historical inquiry process, including the interpretation and analysis of evidence, when investigating various forces that helped shape American history.
UNIT ONEDiscovery & Settlement
- In this unit, students will explore the initial discovery of the New World and the beginning of settlement. There are many different people and countries that were involved in this process, and they all had different impacts on the United States as we know it today.
- In this unit, students will explore the causes of the American Revolution, important historical figures involved and events that took place, as well as the aftermath and repercussions while forming an independent nation.
UNIT THREECivil War and Expansion
- In this unit, students will explore the causes and significant battles of the Civil War, and the reconstruction required following the war.
UNIT FOURWorld Wars
- In this unit, students will explore the United States’ involvement in World War One and World War Two, including the “between” years of the Roaring 20’s and the Great Depression.
UNIT FIVECold War and Civil Rights
- In this unit, students will focus on American involvement in the Cold War and the rise of Communism, the Civil Rights Movement, and the Kennedy Years.
UNIT SIXModern America
- In this unit, students will explore Modern Day United States, evaluating issues the United States experienced in the 1990’s, International Terrorism, and current events.
- This exam is the final evaluation of CHA3U online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours.
- Please consult our Frequently Asked Questions Page or the Exam section within your course for details on exam proctoring options.