CHA3U American History – Grade 11 (University)
PREREQUISITE: Canadian History since World War I, Grade 10, Academic or Applied
GRADE: 11 (University)
AVAILABILITY: Full-time – All Campuses, Private – All campuses, Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Canadian and World Studies
CHA3U online explores key aspects of the social, economic, and political development of the United States from pre-contact to the present. Students will examine the contributions of groups and individuals to the country’s evolution and will explore the historical context of key issues, trends, and events that have had an impact on the United States, its identity and culture, and its role in the global community. In CHA3U online, students will extend their ability to apply the concepts of historical thinking and the historical inquiry process, including the interpretation and analysis of evidence, when investigating various forces that helped shape American history.
UNIT ONEDiscovery & Settlement
- In this unit, students will look into the discovery and settlement of the Americas. There are many different people and countries that were involved in this process, and they all had different impacts on the United States as we know it today.
- In this unit, students will look at the causes, people, battles, and the repercussions of the American Revolution.
UNIT THREECivil War
- In this unit, students will examine the battles of the Civil War, the people, and the reconstruction the country had to go through after the war.
UNIT FOURWorld Wars
- In this unit, students will begin by looking at America’s involvement in WWI, then move into the Roaring 20’s, the Great Depression, and will finish with America’s involvement in WWII.
UNIT FIVECold War
- In this unit, students will focus on America’s involvement in the Cold War, communism, John F. Kennedy, and the Civil Rights Movement.
UNIT SIXInto the Present
- In this unit, students will look into Modern Day United States. They will look into some issues the United States experienced in the 1990’s, International Terrorism and current events.
- This project is one of the final evaluations of CHA3U online. This project will be worth 15% of the final grade.
- This exam is the final evaluation of CHA3U online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are three options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- ARRANGE YOUR OWN PROCTOR: If you want to arrange a proctor yourself, you can do that. The proctor will need to be approved by us and will need to supervise the exam at his or her place of work, or at a public place such as a library. Some libraries and study centres offer this service themselves. The proctor must be approved by us and must be a working professional (eg teacher, doctor, businessperson, and must provide a work email address for correspondence (no Gmail, Hotmail, etc.). Please note that the final exam cannot be proctored by a family member or by a tutor for that specific subject. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Select Arranging My Own Proctor and proceed to schedule your exam.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email email@example.com if you need assistance.