CHV2O Civics and Citizenship – Grade 10 (Open)
GRADE: 10 (Open)
AVAILABILITY: Full-time – All Campuses, Private – All campuses, Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Canadian and World Studies
CHV2O online explores rights and responsibilities associated with being an active citizen in a democratic society. Students will explore issues of civic importance such as healthy schools, community planning, environmental responsibility, and the influence of social media, while developing their understanding of the role of civic engagement and of political processes in the local, national, and/or global community. In CHV2O online, students will apply the concepts of political thinking and the political inquiry process to investigate, and express informed opinions about, a range of political issues and developments that are both of significance in today’s world and of personal interest to them.
UNIT ONEIssues, Ideas & Awareness
- In this unit, students will begin by learning what civics is and their role in civic participation. Students will share their knowledge on a civic issue they are aware of and individuals who have made civic contributions through discussion board posts. Students will also look at the history of governments and how its evolution has lead to various forms of leadership, power and governments. With a focus on democratic governments, students will delve deeper into the rights, freedoms and responsibilities that citizens have. To conclude this unit, students will analyze the role the media has in influencing our knowledge of governments, society, rights, freedoms and responsibilities.
UNIT TWOThe Canadian Context: Government & Political Process
- In this unit, students, armed with a solid understanding of what governments are, will next turn to the complex ways in which they are determined in Canada, federally, provincially and municipally. Students will explore how officials are elected, what powers they hold and what civically engaged citizens can do to influence their government. Special attention will be paid to the political parties and how their policies are reflective of various political ideologies.
UNIT THREEGlobal Context
- In this unit, students will consider some of Canada’s responses to challenges and changes around the globe. Students will evaluate Canada’s participation in a number of international organizations. Students will also analyze what it means to be a global citizen in today’s world. Canada is one country among many on the planet, and so Canadian attitudes and responses to the world speak loudly about Canada’s identity and values.
- This project is one of the final evaluations of CHV2O. This project will be worth 10% of the final grade.
- This exam is the final evaluation of CHV2O online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are two options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance.