CIA4U Analyzing Current Economic Issues – Grade 12 (University)
PREREQUISITE: Any university or university/college preparation course in Canadian and world studies, English, or social sciences and humanities
GRADE: 12 (University)
AVAILABILITY: Full-time – All Campuses, Private – All campuses, Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Canadian and World Studies
CIA4U online examines current national and global economic trends and policies from diverse perspectives. Students will explore the impact of choices that individuals and institutions, including governments, make in responding to local, national, and global economic issues such as globalization and global economic inequalities, trade agreements, national debt, taxation, social spending, and consumer debt. In CIA4U online, students will apply the concepts of economic thinking and the economic inquiry process, including economic models, to investigate, and develop informed opinions about, current economic issues and to help them make reasoned economic decisions.
UNIT ONEIntroduction to Economics
- In this unit, students will develop their economic thinking. Students will complete different types of assessment, be introduced to different instructional strategies and explore fundamental economic concepts that will allow them to develop a deeper level of understanding in subsequent units. Students will explore fundamental concepts of economics and establish a foundation for developing their understanding of economic issues. Students will begin to explore scarcity and choice, microeconomics and macroeconomics, positive and normative economics, opportunity cost, economic models, political economies, and economic theory.
UNIT TWOSupply and Demand
- In this unit, students will explore some essential concepts in economics: supply, demand, equilibrium and elasticity. This unit will set the stage for future learning and allow students to identify economic concepts in their everyday lives.
UNIT THREEAchieving Economic Prosperity
- In this unit, students will learn about and apply economic concepts including identifying economic stakeholders, cost-benefit analysis and production decisions. Students will explore behavioural economics and apply the new learning in this unit to case studies. Students will address sustainability and economic growth and prosperity.
UNIT FOURIntroduction to Macroeconomics
- In this unit, students will explore macroeconomic indicators, the business cycle, measures of well-being, alternative measures of well-being, and government budgets.
UNIT FIVEMonetary and Fiscal Policy
- In this unit, students will explore monetary and fiscal policies. They will explore the role of individuals in influencing fiscal policy and the role of money in the economy. At the completion of this unit, students will complete a macroeconomic analysis of an inquiry question.
UNIT SIXInternational Interdependence and Inequality
- In this unit, students will explore the global economy. Students will take much of their background understanding of economic theory and understanding and apply it globally. They will explore globalization, global inequality, social justice, trade models, agreements, and economic disparity.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of CIA4U online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are two options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email email@example.com if you need assistance.