CIE3M Economics: The Individual and the Economy – Grade 11 (University/College)
PREREQUISITE: Canadian History since World War I, Grade 10, Academic or Applied
GRADE: 11 (University/College)
AVAILABILITY: Full-time – All Campuses, Private – All campuses, Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Canadian and World Studies
CIE3M online explores challenges facing the Canadian economy as well as the implications of various responses to these challenges. Students will explore the economic role of business, labour, and government, as well as their own role as individual consumers and contributors, and how all of these influence stability and variability in the Canadian economy. In CIE3M online, students will apply the concepts of economic thinking and the economic inquiry process, including economic models, to investigate the impact of economic decisions.
UNIT ONEIntroduction to Economics
- In this unit, students will be introduced to the study of economics. Students will begin exploring economic inquiry and economic thinking in investigating current economic issues in Canada. Students will explore economic decision making and concepts of scarcity and choice including models that can be used to evaluate these choices. In addition, they will begin to explore the role of government and political entities in making economic decisions.
UNIT TWOThe Canadian Labour Market
- In this unit, students will explore the market systems, organized and unorganized workers in Canada, employment patterns and trends, and causes and measures of economic inequality in Canada. Students will continue to develop transferable skills and continue to develop economic thinking as it applies to current issues of labour and employment in Canada.
UNIT THREEFinancial Management and Business Organization
- In this unit, students will explore and expand upon political and economic systems that were addressed in Unit 1. Students will also gain an opportunity to integrate personal financial decision-making into existing understandings of economic decision making. In addition, students will explore the role of cost-benefit analyses into personal financial decisions.
UNIT FOUREconomic Stability in Canada
- In this unit, students will explore how producers and consumers participate in the Canadian economy and ways that governments affect this participation. They will explore how the governments in Canada intervene in the economy and explain the roles, perspectives and influence of various economic citizens in Canada.
UNIT FIVECanada and the Global Economy
- In this unit, students will explore the role of perspectives on scarcity and sustainability and assess their significance in Canada. Students will also weigh the trade-offs in decision making for governments and explore the criteria these governments use. Students will apply their new learning to current issues in economics and assess the impact of globalization including international trade and investment on the Canadian economy.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of CIE3M online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are two options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email email@example.com if you need assistance.