ENG1D English – Grade 9 (Academic)
GRADE: 9 (Academic)
AVAILABILITY: Full-time – All Campuses, Private – All campuses, Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: English
ENG1D online is designed to develop the oral communication, reading, writing, and media literacy skills that students need for success in their secondary school academic programs and in their daily lives. Students will analyze literary texts from contemporary and historical periods, interpret informational and graphic texts, and create oral, written, and media texts in a variety of forms. An important focus will be on the use of strategies that contribute to effective communication. ENG1D online is intended to prepare students for the Grade 10 academic English course, which leads to university or college preparation courses in Grades 11 and 12.
UNIT ONEMyths and Heroes
- In this unit, students will explore the meaning of the word “hero” including traits and characteristics related to being a hero. Students will learn about the transformative steps that every hero must endure on their quest to achieve honour and glory. Students will gain an understanding of important terms and definitions that are imperative to know when studying short stories, mythology, and folk/fairy tales. Students will explore key elements of short stories by reading and examining various mythological stories and folktales from different cultures and time periods throughout history.
UNIT TWOShort Stories
- In this unit, students will review the important elements of short stories and understand how they function in stories they know and stories they will read. Students will learn about literary devices and become very skilled at identifying these in short stories and explaining their purpose. Students will have the opportunity to read a variety of short stories, both modern and classic. Students will analyze short stories, and identify and explain their characteristics, including perspective, length, characterization, plot, setting, and more. Students will learn how to construct a theme statement and how to identify mood and tone of a short story.
UNIT THREEShakespeare's Rome and Juliet
- In this unit, students will explore the life and historic times of famous playwright William Shakespeare. Students will examine the plot and major characters of one of Shakspeare’s most famous romantic plays, Romeo and Juliet. Students will learn important terms and definitions that are imperative to know when studying Shakespeare’s plays. Students will become familiar with the Shakespearean vocabulary and writing styles, including sonnets. Students will explore key themes of Romeo and Juliet, such as love, fate, and identity.
UNIT FOURNovel Study: The Great Gatsby
- In this unit, students will explore the culture and lifestyle of the 1920s, a prosperous and exciting time in history. Students will learn what it means when a novel is called classic, and how to read this novel in an informed way. Students will explore interesting characters and learn how to understand their actions and motivations. Students will examine key elements of plot, theme, and symbol by reading through this classic novel and analyzing significant parts.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of ENG1D online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are two options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email email@example.com if you need assistance.