ENG1P English – Grade 9 (Applied)
GRADE: 9 (Applied)
AVAILABILITY: Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: English
ENG1P online is designed to develop the key oral communication, reading, writing, and media literacy skills students need for success in secondary school and daily life. Students will read, interpret, and create a variety of informational, literary, and graphic texts. An important focus will be on identifying and using appropriate strategies and processes to improve students’ comprehension of texts and to help them communicate clearly and effectively. ENG1P online is intended to prepare students for the Grade 10 Applied English course, which leads to college, or workplace preparation courses in Grades 11 and 12.
UNIT ONEWho are you?
- In this unit, students will learn how over the course of human history, many books, art pieces, films and songs have been made to describe the self and investigate what sets us apart from others. Students will examine the various learning styles and discover which one is theirs. Students will explore the Big 5 Personality Traits. Students will learn how to write about themselves, and the difference between biographies and autobiographies.
UNIT TWOWords and Worlds Around Us
- In this unit, students will learn that the words we use convey ourselves by gaining an understanding of style, diction and tone. Students will explore how words shape entire worlds by looking at the words used across a variety of media. Students will study persuasive techniques in advertising and how they themselves can write a persuasive paragraph.
UNIT THREEThe Strange and Unbelievable
- In this unit, students will study bias and how to spot in when they read various texts. Students will learn about the elements of a short story and what the Eight Point Story Arc is. Students will examine how mood is established in literature.
UNIT FOURNovel Study: The Outsiders
- In this unit, students will read the book The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton. Students will be responsible for answering questions on each chapter. Students will dive into the characters of this novel as well as the use of poetry, specifically the poem by Robert Frost entitled, “Nothing Gold Can Stay.” Students will learn what a theme is, and discuss the themes found in this novel.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of ENG1P online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are three options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- ARRANGE YOUR OWN PROCTOR: If you want to arrange a proctor yourself, you can do that. The proctor will need to be approved by us and will need to supervise the exam at his or her place of work, or at a public place such as a library. Some libraries and study centres offer this service themselves. The proctor must be approved by us and must be a working professional (eg teacher, doctor, businessperson, and must provide a work email address for correspondence (no Gmail, Hotmail, etc.). Please note that the final exam cannot be proctored by a family member or by a tutor for that specific subject. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Select Arranging My Own Proctor and proceed to schedule your exam.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email email@example.com if you need assistance.