ENG2D English – Grade 10 (Academic)
PREREQUISITE: English, Grade 9, Academic or Applied
GRADE: 10 (Academic)
AVAILABILITY: Full-time – All Campuses, Private – All campuses, Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: English
ENG2D online is designed to extend the range of oral communication, reading, writing, and media literacy skills that students need for success in their secondary school academic programs and in their daily lives. Students will analyze literary texts from contemporary and historical periods, interpret and evaluate informational and graphic texts, and create oral, written, and media texts in a variety of forms. An important focus will be on the selective use of strategies that contribute to effective communication. ENG2D online is intended to prepare students for the compulsory Grade 11 university or college preparation course.
UNIT ONEPersuasion and Propaganda
- In this unit, students will explore persuasion and what a thesis statement is. Students will learn the difference between inductive and deductive logic, what logical fallacies are and how to spot them. Students will explore various types of essays and how to identify them. Students will also take a closer look at propaganda.
UNIT TWOShakespeare: MacBeth
- In this unit, students will read Shakespeare’s MacBeth. Students will learn about Shakespearean vocabulary and analyze the play in detail.
UNIT THREENovel Study: Animal Farm
- In this unit, students will read and analyze George Orwell’s Animal Farm. Animal Farm is considered by many to be one of the best political allegories ever written and students will learn about what a political allegory is and be able to analyze the allegorical meanings of the characters. Students will also try to draw parallels between themes in this novel and the real world.
UNIT FOURMusic as Poetry
- In this unit, students will learn about poetic devices and practice using them. Students will also read and analyze poems. Students will examine the Science of music and poetry and how Rap and Hip-Hop music are especially concerned with clever wordplay and poetic devices.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of ENG2D online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are two options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance.