ENG2D English – Grade 10 (Academic)
PREREQUISITE: English, Grade 9, Academic or Applied
GRADE: 10 (Academic)
AVAILABILITY: Full-time – All Campuses, Private – All campuses, Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: English
ENG2D online is designed to extend the range of oral communication, reading, writing, and media literacy skills that students need for success in their secondary school academic programs and in their daily lives. Students will analyze literary texts from contemporary and historical periods, interpret and evaluate informational and graphic texts, and create oral, written, and media texts in a variety of forms. An important focus will be on the selective use of strategies that contribute to effective communication. ENG2D online is intended to prepare students for the compulsory Grade 11 university or college preparation course.
UNIT ONEPersuasion and Propaganda
- In this unit, students will explore persuasion and what a thesis statement is. Students will learn the difference between inductive and deductive logic, what logical fallacies are and how to spot them. Students will explore various types of essays and how to identify them. Students will also take a closer look at propaganda.
UNIT TWOShakespeare: MacBeth
- In this unit, students will read Shakespeare’s MacBeth. Students will learn about Shakespearean vocabulary and analyze the play in detail.
UNIT THREENovel Study: Animal Farm
- In this unit, students will read and analyze George Orwell’s Animal Farm. Animal Farm is considered by many to be one of the best political allegories ever written and students will learn about what a political allegory is and be able to analyze the allegorical meanings of the characters. Students will also try to draw parallels between themes in this novel and the real world.
UNIT FOURMusic as Poetry
- In this unit, students will learn about poetic devices and practice using them. Students will also read and analyze poems. Students will examine the Science of music and poetry and how Rap and Hip-Hop music are especially concerned with clever wordplay and poetic devices.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of ENG2D online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours.
- Please consult our Frequently Asked Questions Page or the Exam section within your course for details on exam proctoring options.