ENG3C English – Grade 11 (College)
PREREQUISITE: English, Grade 10, Applied
GRADE: 11 (College)
AVAILABILITY: Full-time – All Campuses, Private – All campuses, Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: English
ENG3C online emphasizes the development of literacy, communication, and critical and creative thinking skills necessary for success in academic and daily life. Students will study the content, form, and style of a variety of informational and graphic texts, as well as literary texts from Canada and other countries, and create oral, written, and media texts in a variety of forms for practical and academic purposes. An important focus will be on using language with precision and clarity. ENG3C online is intended to prepare students for the compulsory Grade 12 college preparation course.
UNIT ONEMedia Studies
- In this unit, students will learn to interpret media texts through their overt and implied messages. By working through increasingly complex texts, students will evaluate the effectiveness of media to reach their audience, as well as how media can be utilized to present bias. Students will question product placement in commercials, as well as create their own media forms to present information they feel is relevant to the masses.
UNIT TWOInterpreting Literacy Through Journalism
- In this unit, students will explore a variety of informational, literary, and graphic texts in the world of journalism. Utilizing critical thinking, students will explore how these various texts communicate meaning, and the impact they have on the greater society. Students will recognize a variety of text forms, text features, and stylistic elements. By the end of this unit, students will demonstrate their ability to comprehend and utilize a range of vocabulary, as well as identify their strengths, and areas for improvement as a reader.
UNIT THREESerial Podcast
- In this unit, students will expand their oral communication skills by listening, analyzing, and critiquing the podcast entitled Serial. The podcast is a 12 part series that explores the murder trial of Adnan Syed, who was convicted of first-degree murder and the kidnapping of his ex-girlfriend Hae Min Lee in 2000. Syed has always claimed his innocence, and due to the growing popularity of the Serial podcast, many believe he is too. By learning to listen instead of simply hearing, and communicating based on information and critical thinking, in this unit students will be the judge.
- In this unit, students will be responsible for generating, gathering, and organizing ideas and information to present a variety of perspectives on debate topics. Using their knowledge of form and style students will draft and revise their arguments, using informational, literary, and graphic forms appropriate for the purpose and audience. Students will apply their knowledge of conventions to use editing, proofreading, and publishing to correct errors, refine expressions, and present effective work. Near the end of the unit, students will reflect on their debating skills and identify their strengths and areas for improvement as a writer.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of ENG3C online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are two options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email email@example.com if you need assistance.