ENG3U English – Grade 11 (University)
PREREQUISITE: English, Grade 10, Academic
GRADE: 11 (University)
AVAILABILITY: Full-time – All Campuses, Part-time – All Campuses, Private – All campuses, International Summers Programs, Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: English
ENG3U online emphasizes the development of literacy, communication, and critical and creative thinking skills necessary for success in academic and daily life. Students will analyze challenging literary texts from various periods, countries, and cultures, as well as a range of informational and graphic texts, and create oral, written, and media texts in a variety of forms. An important focus will be on using language with precision and clarity and incorporating stylistic devices appropriately and effectively. ENG3U online is intended to prepare students for the compulsory grade 12 university or college preparation course.
UNIT ONEShort Stories and Non Fiction
- In this unit, students will be introduced to the major terms and concepts that will build the foundation for this course. Within the unit, students will be examining a variety of short stories and non-fiction pieces using a variety of mediums and media styles.
UNIT TWONovel Study: The Catcher in the Rye
- In this unit, students will examine J.D. Salinger’s The Catcher in the Rye. Students will focus on theme, character development and point of view. Though the novel was written seventy years ago, the messages and issues are still extremely relevant. Students will explore issues and challenges the protagonist faces, including family relationships, personal faith and the death of loved ones. Students will also learn about formal essay writing and apply this knowledge in a working essay submission.
UNIT THREEElizabethan Drama: Macbeth
- In this unit, students will examine William Shakespeare’s Macbeth. They will explore the definition of a tragic hero, different types of conflict and the dramatic purpose of a scene. While studying these elements, students will continue to work on literary analysis, oral communication and presentation skills.
UNIT FOURContemporary Novel: A Complicated Kindness
- In this unit, students will be working with the winner of the Governor General’s award, A Complicated Kindness written by Miriam Toews. This Canadian novel explores the life of Mennonite teenager Nomi Nickel while she struggles to find her place in life. This is an Independent Study. As students read the novel, they will be expected to compile annotated notes. They will be expected to explore the novel’s plot, themes, conflicts and symbolic elements while they continue to develop their written and oral communication skills through the included assessments.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of ENG3U online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are two options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email email@example.com if you need assistance.