ENG4C English – Grade 12 (College)
PREREQUISITE: English, Grade 11, College Preparation
GRADE: 12 (College)
AVAILABILITY: Full-time – All Campuses, Private – All campuses / Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: English
ENG4C online emphasizes the consolidation of literacy, communication, and critical and creative thinking skills necessary for success in academic and daily life. Students will analyze a variety of informational and graphic texts, as well as literary texts from various countries and cultures, and create oral, written, and media texts in a variety of forms for practical and academic purposes. An important focus will be on using language with precision and clarity and developing greater control in writing. ENG4C online is intended to prepare students for college or the workplace.
- In this unit, students will begin by creating a foundation for a learning community for them, as a lifelong, global learner, in this course. This unit will provide the opportunity for students to introduce themselves, to begin to get to know their peers and their teacher, to think, to reflect, to write and to communicate, to establish a base for learning throughout the course.
UNIT TWOShort Stories
- In this unit, students are welcomed to the world of short stories! In this unit students will study two classic Canadian short stories, using both text and media formats to enjoy, learn and reflect.
UNIT THREEMedia Studies
- In this unit, students will investigate ‘media,’ media and information literacy, ethical journalism, ‘fake news,’ as well as advertising standards in Canada. Understanding media is crucial for twenty-first-century living and learning!
UNIT FOURClassic Fiction Study
- In this unit, students will learn to understand the benefits of reading for themselves, in their lives, and they will reflect upon and write about an enduring theme, from a classic fiction novel.
UNIT FIVEShakespeare's Hamlet
- In this unit, students will read and analyze the play Hamlet. Shakespeare is one of the world’s most recognized literary figures on our planet. Although he was born more than 450 years ago, Shakespeare’s work has endured over centuries, being adapted in many formats by artists such as playwrights, dance, visual art, sculpture and even symphony compositions to accompany a number of his plays. His work continues to be performed globally. One of his enduring plays is Hamlet which will be the focus of this unit.
UNIT SIXContemporary Literature
- In this unit, students will turn their attention to the study of a gripping piece of contemporary non-fiction, Malala Yousafzai’s memoir, I Am Malala. Malala is the youngest winner in the history of the Nobel Peace Prize, named ‘One of the 16 Most Influential Teens of the Year,’ made the annual list of the ‘100 Most Influential People in the World’ by Time magazine, and was selected by People as its ‘Hero of the Year.’ In April 2017, Malala was appointed the youngest-ever United Nations Messenger for Peace. Malala’s memoir is the winner of the ‘Nonfiction Book of the Year’ at the British National Book Awards. Her memoir is “Moving and Illuminating.” Catherine Bennett – The Observer (UK).
- This project is one of the final evaluations of ENG4C online. This project will be worth 15% of the final grade.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of ENG4C online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are two options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance.