ESLAO English as a Second Language – Level 1 (Open)
AVAILABILITY: Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: English as a Second Language and English Literacy Development
ESLAO online builds on students’ previous education and language knowledge to introduce them to the English language and help them adjust to the diversity in their new environment. Students will use beginning English language skills in listening, speaking, reading, and writing for everyday and essential academic purposes. They will engage in short conversations using basic English language structures and simple sentence patterns; read short adapted texts, and write phrases and short sentences. ESLAO online also provides students with the knowledge and skills they need to begin to adapt to their new lives in Canada.
UNIT ONEReading Comprehension
- In this unit, students will discuss different strategies to help their reading comprehension at different stages of the reading process. Students will go over strategies to use before they start reading such as creating a word wall or a KWL chart. Students will learn about strategies to employ during reading such as taking notes and identifying key ideas, students will also learn how to synthesize the information that they read. This unit will also cover strategies to help students after they read, such as writing a summary. This unit will provide students with opportunities to practice their spelling, learn about verbs, different abbreviations, syllables and build up their vocabulary.
UNIT TWOListening & Speaking
- In this unit, students will develop the skills necessary to gain confidence and familiarity with listening and speaking in various contexts. Students will learn the vocabulary related to listening and speaking. Students will learn that in English, how they say something is just as important as what they are saying by learning about the imitation technique. Students will learn how to become good communicators by learning to listen as well as paying attention to non-verbal communication. Students will also learn about the different vowel sounds used in English.
- In this unit, students will learn how to become effective writers by learning how to organize their ideas coherently. Students will learn about some common grammar mistakes and how to fix them as well as the different characteristics of a paragraph. Students will also learn about various aspects of Canadian culture including our government and the aboriginal people of Canada.
UNIT FOURNovel Study
- In this unit, students will be participating in a novel study. Students will put the strategies they have learned throughout this course into action. Students will identify key aspects of the text such as the setting, characters and theme. Students will take notes and answers questions on chapters.
- This project is one of the final evaluations of ESLAO online. This project will challenge the knowledge students acquired throughout this course and is worth 10% of the final grade.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of ESLAO online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours.
- Please consult our Frequently Asked Questions Page or the Exam section within your course for details on exam proctoring options.