ESLBO English as a Second Language – Level 2 (Open)
PREREQUISITE: ESL Level 1 or equivalent
AVAILABILITY: Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: English as a Second Language and English Literacy Development
ESLBO online extends students’ listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills in English for everyday and academic purposes. Students will participate in conversations in structured situations on a variety of familiar and new topics; read a variety of texts designed or adapted for English language learners; expand their knowledge of English grammatical structures and sentence patterns, and link English sentences to compose paragraphs. ESLBO online also supports students’ continuing adaptation to the Ontario school system by expanding their knowledge of diversity in their new province and country.
UNIT ONEOur Stories
- In this unit, students will share stories/ideas about where they are from, and develop critical thinking and writing skills by making connections to one another and through reading a few stories from across our country, Canada.
UNIT TWOProvinces and Territories
- In this unit, students will investigate the land that they now call home, and develop critical thinking and writing skills by making connections to one another and through reading a few stories from across our country, Canada.
UNIT THREECanada's Land
- In this unit, students will look at the land that they occupy here in Canada, and develop critical thinking and writing skills by making connections to one another and through reading a few stories from across our country.
UNIT FOURCanada's Population
- In this unit, students will investigate Canada’s population, and develop critical thinking and writing skills by making connections to one another and through reading a few stories from across our country.
- This project is one of the final evaluations of ESLBO online. This project will challenge students to show what they have learned throughout the course and is worth 15% of the final grade.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of ESLBO online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are three options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- ARRANGE YOUR OWN PROCTOR: If you want to arrange a proctor yourself, you can do that. The proctor will need to be approved by us and will need to supervise the exam at his or her place of work, or at a public place such as a library. Some libraries and study centres offer this service themselves. The proctor must be approved by us and must be a working professional (eg teacher, doctor, businessperson, and must provide a work email address for correspondence (no Gmail, Hotmail, etc.). Please note that the final exam cannot be proctored by a family member or by a tutor for that specific subject. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Select Arranging My Own Proctor and proceed to schedule your exam.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance.