ESLCO English as a Second Language – Level 3 (Open)
PREREQUISITE: ESL Level 2 or equivalent
AVAILABILITY: Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: English as a Second Language and English Literacy Development
ESLCO online further extends students’ skills in listening, speaking, reading, and writing in English for a variety of everyday and academic purposes. Students will make short classroom oral presentations; read a variety of adapted and original texts in English; and write using a variety of text forms. As well, students will expand their academic vocabulary and their study skills to facilitate their transition to the mainstream school program. ESLCO online also introduces students to the rights and responsibilities inherent in Canadian citizenship, and to a variety of current Canadian issues.
UNIT ONEOur Canada
- In this unit, students will share stories, ideas and writing about Canada as a country. Students will build on their knowledge of what they have already studied in ESL-A and ESL-B to improve their reading comprehension, listening and speaking skills through critical texts that explore Canadian diversity.
- In this unit, students will continue to explore our shared history of Canada, by learning about the people, places and events that have shaped this country.
- In this unit, students will continue to explore more about Canada, learning specifically about government. Through reading and listening activities, students will work on improving their speaking skills and refine their personal narratives.
- In this unit, students will explore diversity amongst the Canadian population. Students will use their own voices and experiences to make connections to Canadian society.
- This project is one of the final evaluations of ESLCO online. This project will challenge students’ knowledge of concepts learned throughout this course and is worth 15% of the final grade.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of ESLCO online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are two options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email email@example.com if you need assistance.