ESLDO English as a Second Language – Level 4 (Open)
PREREQUISITE: ESL Level 3 or equivalent
AVAILABILITY: Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: English as a Second Language and English Literacy Development
ESLDO online prepares students to use English with increasing fluency and accuracy in classroom and social situations and to participate in Canadian society as informed citizens. Students will develop the oral-presentation, reading, and writing skills required for success in all school subjects. In ESLDO online, students will extend listening and speaking skills through participation in discussions and seminars; study and interpret a variety of grade-level texts; write narratives, articles, and summaries in English; and respond critically to a variety of print and media texts.
UNIT ONEGrammar and Reading Practice
- In this unit, students will use a variety of strategies to build up their vocabulary. Students will practice using graphic organizers while reading. Students will learn about compound words and how to use them and also learn about the different parts speech. Students will discuss etiquette and the different types of nouns. This unit will also cover idioms, verbs and synonyms.
UNIT TWOSocio-Cultural Competence and Media Literacy
- In this unit, students will use English and non-verbal communication strategies appropriately in a variety of social contexts. Students will gain an understanding of the rights and responsibilities of Canadian citizenship, and of the contributions of diverse groups to Canadian society. Students will also gain knowledge of and adaptation to the Ontario education system.
UNIT THREESpeaking and Listening
- In this unit, students will practice their communication strategies as well as their spoken communication skills.
UNIT FOURNovel Study
- In this unit, students will read and do their best to understand a novel. Students will practice using a variety of reading strategies throughout the reading process to extract meaning from the text. Students will use this novel study as an opportunity to use a variety of strategies to build their vocabulary. Students will also practice extracting relevant information from the text.
- This project is one of the final evaluations of ESLDO online. This project will challenge students’ knowledge of concepts learned throughout this course and is worth 10% of the final grade.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of ESLDO online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are three options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- ARRANGE YOUR OWN PROCTOR: If you want to arrange a proctor yourself, you can do that. The proctor will need to be approved by us and will need to supervise the exam at his or her place of work, or at a public place such as a library. Some libraries and study centres offer this service themselves. The proctor must be approved by us and must be a working professional (eg teacher, doctor, businessperson, and must provide a work email address for correspondence (no Gmail, Hotmail, etc.). Please note that the final exam cannot be proctored by a family member or by a tutor for that specific subject. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Select Arranging My Own Proctor and proceed to schedule your exam.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email email@example.com if you need assistance.