ESLEO English as a Second Language – Level 5 (Open)
PREREQUISITE: ESL Level 4 or equivalent
AVAILABILITY: Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: English as a Second Language and English Literacy Development
ESLEO online provides students with the skills and strategies they need to make the transition to college and university preparation courses in English and other secondary school disciplines. Students will be encouraged to develop independence in a range of academic tasks. They will participate in debates and lead classroom workshops; read and interpret literary works and academic texts; write essays, narratives, and reports; and apply a range of learning strategies and research skills effectively. In ESLEO online, students will further develop their ability to respond critically to print and media texts.
UNIT ONEReading & Writing
- In this unit, students will practice their reading comprehension by reading a variety of different texts. Students will continue to improve their grammar through review of synonyms, idioms, compound words and verbs, and build up their vocabulary. Students will practice their writing skills by writing a descriptive paragraph.
UNIT TWOListening & Speaking
- In this unit, students will learn how they can become better communicators and how they can master knowing what to say, and when. Students will practice their oral skills by creating an oral report and sharing narratives.
UNIT THREENovel Study: The Giver
- In this unit, students will participate in a novel study of the book The Giver. Students will perform independent reading and keep a journal for each chapter. Students will learn how to do citations, foot-notes and end-notes. Students will also learn how to create an essay outline as well as a reference page. Students will then learn how to put all these things together to write an essay.
- In this unit, students will learn about what makes the media so powerful and they will think critically about how the media works. Students will learn about how the media influences us and therefore gain insights into how they themselves can speak persuasively. Students will also exam various messages communicated through the media, critically examine them and then decided for themselves what they think.
- This project is one of the final evaluations of the course. This project will challenge students’ knowledge of concepts learned throughout this course and is worth 10% of the final grade.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of the course. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are three options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- ARRANGE YOUR OWN PROCTOR: If you want to arrange a proctor yourself, you can do that. The proctor will need to be approved by us and will need to supervise the exam at his or her place of work, or at a public place such as a library. Some libraries and study centres offer this service themselves. The proctor must be approved by us and must be a working professional (eg teacher, doctor, businessperson, and must provide a work email address for correspondence (no Gmail, Hotmail, etc.). Please note that the final exam cannot be proctored by a family member or by a tutor for that specific subject. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Select Arranging My Own Proctor and proceed to schedule your exam.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance.