ESLEO English as a Second Language – Level 5 (Open)
PREREQUISITE: ESL Level 4 or equivalent
AVAILABILITY: Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: English as a Second Language and English Literacy Development
ESLEO online provides students with the skills and strategies they need to make the transition to college and university preparation courses in English and other secondary school disciplines. Students will be encouraged to develop independence in a range of academic tasks. They will participate in debates and lead classroom workshops; read and interpret literary works and academic texts; write essays, narratives, and reports; and apply a range of learning strategies and research skills effectively. In ESLEO online, students will further develop their ability to respond critically to print and media texts.
UNIT ONEReading & Writing
- In this unit, students will share strategies and develop critical thinking skills to make them better readers and writers.
UNIT TWOListening & Speaking
- In this unit, students will look at different ways that they can improve their listening and speaking skills to make them better communicators.
UNIT THREENovel Study: The Giver
- In this unit, we will explore the themes, characters, plot and various details of the novel, The Giver, and make connections to our world.
- In this unit, students will look closely at the media and investigate truth vs. fiction in order to be more critical about what they read, and what is considered a reliable source of information to learn from.
- This project is one of the final evaluations of the course. This project will challenge students’ knowledge of concepts learned throughout this course and is worth 15% of the final grade.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of the course. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours.
- Please consult our Frequently Asked Questions Page or the Exam section within your course for details on exam proctoring options.