EWC4U The Writer’s Craft – Grade 12 (University)
PREREQUISITE: English, Grade 11, University Preparation
GRADE: 12 (University)
AVAILABILITY: Full-time – All Campuses, Part-time – All campuses, Private – All campuses, Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: English
EWC4U online emphasizes knowledge and skills related to the craft of writing. Students will analyze models of effective writing; use a workshop approach to produce a range of works; identify and use techniques required for specialized forms of writing; and identify effective ways to improve the quality of their writing. In EWC4U online, students will also complete a major paper as part of a creative or analytical independent study project and investigate opportunities for publication and for writing careers.
UNIT ONEThe Writer's Toolbox
- In this unit, students will be introduced to good writing habits, grammar, and their ongoing writer’s journal. Students will also get started on some creative writing activities as well as complete some interesting longer writing assignments along the way.
UNIT TWOWriters on Writing
- In this unit, students will be introduced to some famous writers from Canada and beyond and what their views on writing and the writing technique are. Students will also be introduced to learning about the career of writing and how words can make an impact on the world of literature and society as a whole.
- In this unit, students will be introduced to the world of poetry. Students will be able to learn about different forms of poetry and will view examples of poems in different forms. Students will experiment with writing their own poetry on their own and as a class, and will also be able to dip their toes in spoken word poetry.
UNIT FOURShort Stories
- In this unit, students will be introduced to short short stories, as well as short stories and will learn all about how to analyze them to look for symbols and deeper messages within. Students will learn how to compress their written dialogue in stories for effectiveness, how to show their story rather than tell it, and will even create their very own short story!
UNIT FIVEChildren's Stories: Fairytales & Dialogue
- In this unit, students will get to bring out the kid in them again and play pretend. Students will learn about fairytales, fairytale writing, how to write dialogue, tips on how to write a successful children’s play, and learn from some successful authors along the way. Near the end of this unit, students will even be tasked with creating their very own children’s story or dialogue for a potential children’s play!
UNIT SIXThe Memoir and Execution Poems
- In this unit, students will be introduced to the world of memoirs. Students will be able to learn about what is included in a memoir and will learn about famous memoirs that already exist. Students will read articles discussing memoir writing, and will also dive into reading a memoir called Execution Poems by George Elliot Clarke. Students will be able to write their own mini-memoir too!
- This project is the final evaluation of EWC4U online. This project will challenge students to use the skills they have gained throughout this course. This project is worth 30% of the final grade.