GLS1O Learning Strategies – Grade 9 (Open)
GRADE: 9 (Open)
AVAILABILITY: Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Guidance and Career Education
GLS1O online focuses on learning strategies to help students become better, more independent learners. Students will learn how to develop and apply literacy and numeracy skills, personal management skills, and interpersonal and teamwork skills to improve their learning and achievement in school, the workplace, and the community.The course helps students build confidence and motivation to pursue opportunities for success in secondary school and beyond.
UNIT ONEPersonal Knowledge
- In this unit, students will identify different learning styles and their own personal strengths and weaknesses. Students will explore various strategies they can use in order to enhance their current skill set for success in the future. This unit is designed to promote student self-awareness and encourage engagement with the wider community. Through the application of personal knowledge, students learn to self-advocate.
UNIT TWOPersonal Management Skills
- In this unit, students will focus on stress management, values, decision-making, and nutrition, students will come to understand the overarching concept of wellness and how maintaining a healthy lifestyle can enhance their academic performance. Through varied assessments that measure knowledge and understanding, thinking, application, and communication, students will explore their own wellness and develop strategies for a successful future.
UNIT THREELearning Skills
- In this unit, students will explore different learning skills and their individual strengths and weaknesses. Students will identify a variety of literacy skills and strategies to improve their reading, writing, and oral communication in everyday contexts. Additionally, students will identify different measurements of success and the community and school resources available that can help them in their personal learning needs.
UNIT FOURInterpersonal Knowledge and Skills
- In this unit, students will identify and describe the knowledge and skills necessary for successful interpersonal relations and teamwork; skills that are vital in school and the workplace. By gaining insight into their own skills and areas of strength and weakness, students will be able to explain how those skills can be further developed to enhance their learning and interpersonal relationships more generally. Students will be able to apply the appropriate teamwork skills needed in a variety of learning environments.
UNIT FIVEExploring Opportunities
- In this unit, students will apply their knowledge of school, work, and community involvement opportunities to develop their own personal learning plans. Students will reflect on the resources available to them that can be used to support their learning needs.
- This project is the final evaluation of GLS1O online. This project will require students to use the knowledge they have learnt throughout this course and is worth a total of 30% of the final grade.