HFA4U Nutrition and Health – Grade 12 (University)
PREREQUISITE: Any university or university/college preparation course in social sciences and humanities, English, or Canadian and world studies
GRADE: 12 (University)
AVAILABILITY: Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Social Sciences and Humanities
HFA4U online examines the relationships between food, energy balance, and nutritional status; the nutritional needs of individuals at different stages of life; and the role of nutrition in health and disease. Students will evaluate nutrition-related trends and will determine how food choices can promote food security and environmental responsibility. In HFA4U online, students will learn about healthy eating, expand their repertoire of food-preparation techniques, and develop their social science research skills by investigating issues related to nutrition and health.
UNIT ONENutrition and Health
- In this unit, students will learn about nutrients, the specific components that make-up food, and the impact that they have on health. Students will explore Canadian food guidelines and those around the world. They will also analyze their own diet!
UNIT TWOFood Preparation Skills
- In this unit, students will get to step into the kitchen and get their hands dirty! Students will learn some new skills and get creative by coming up with their own recipes.
UNIT THREEEating Patterns and Trends
- In this unit, students will learn about the way nutritional needs change throughout a person’s growth and development. Students will also learn about the powerful connection between nutrition and disease and about trends in food production and consumption.
UNIT FOURLocal and Global Issues
- In this unit, students will explore food-related issues at the local and global levels. Students will also analyze strategies for combating both. Environmental issues related to food production and transportation and the influence consumers will be analyzed.
- This project is one of the final evaluations of HFA4U online. In this project, students will use everything they learned about nutrition, food preparation, eating trends, and food-related issues. This project is worth 15% of the final grade.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of HFA4U online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are two options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance.