HFA4U Nutrition and Health – Grade 12 (University)
PREREQUISITE: Any university or university/college preparation course in social sciences and humanities, English, or Canadian and world studies
GRADE: 12 (University)
AVAILABILITY: Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Social Sciences and Humanities
UNIT ONENutrition and Health
- In this unit, students will learn about nutrients, the specific components that make-up food, and the impact that they have on health. Students will explore Canadian food guidelines and those around the world. They will also analyze their own diet!
UNIT TWOFood Preparation Skills
- In this unit, students will get to step into the kitchen and get their hands dirty! Students will learn some new skills and get creative by coming up with their own recipes.
UNIT THREEEating Patterns and Trends
- In this unit, students will learn about the way nutritional needs change throughout a person’s growth and development. Students will also learn about the powerful connection between nutrition and disease and about trends in food production and consumption.
UNIT FOURLocal and Global Issues
- In this unit, students will explore food-related issues at the local and global levels. Students will also analyze strategies for combating both. Environmental issues related to food production and transportation and the influence consumers will be analyzed.
- This project is one of the final evaluations of HFA4U online. In this project, students will use everything they learned about nutrition, food preparation, eating trends, and food-related issues. This project is worth 15% of the final grade.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of HFA4U online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours.
- Please consult our Frequently Asked Questions Page or the Exam section within your course for details on exam proctoring options.