HHS4U Families in Canada – Grade 12 (University)
PREREQUISITE: Any university or university/college preparation course in social sciences and humanities, English, or Canadian and world studies
GRADE: 12 (University)
AVAILABILITY: Full-time – All Campuses, Private – All campuses, Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Social Science and Humanities
HHS4U online enables students to draw on sociological, psychological, and anthropological theories and research to analyze the development of individuals, intimate relationships, and family and parent-child relationships. Students will focus on issues and challenges facing individuals and families in Canada’s diverse society. They will develop analytical tools that enable them to assess various factors affecting families and to consider policies and practices intended to support families in Canada. In HHS4U online, students will develop the investigative skills required to conduct and communicate the results of research on individuals, intimate relationships, and parent-child relationships.
UNIT ONEFamilies and Theoretical Perspectives
- In this unit, students will be introduced to the family. What has the family looked like in the past? What do Canadian families look like today? Why has the family changed? What is the purpose of families? Students will also be introduced to social science theories. These theories form a foundation for the course and will be applied to the topics studied in the course.
- In this unit, students will explore the path to adulthood for individuals by examining the history of teenagers, young adults and seniors in society. Various theories that attempt to explain the processes of maturation, individualization and socialization will be examined. The topics of education and employment will also be studied.
UNIT THREESocial Science Research
- In this unit, students will be introduced to social science research, from how to pick a topic to how to write annotated bibliographies, essays, and reports. Students will learn how to do primary and secondary research, practice and demonstrate their note-taking abilities, and continue to develop their APA formatting skills.
- In this unit, students will explore the development of couple relationships from dating to cohabitation to marriage. The issues that are explored in this unit include divorce, role negotiation, arranged marriage intermarriage, and same-sex marriage.
UNIT FIVEParent-Child Relationships
- In this unit, students will examine the relationship between parents and their children. How can society balance the needs of parents and children? What is society’s obligation to parents and children? At the end of the unit child, spousal and elder abuse is examined to help students recognize the signs.
- This exam is the final evaluation of HHS4U online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are two options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email email@example.com if you need assistance.