HSB4U Challenge & Change in Society – Grade 12 (University)
PREREQUISITE: Any university or university/college preparation course in social sciences and humanities, English, or Canadian and world studies
GRADE: 12 (University)
AVAILABILITY: Full-time – All Campuses, Private – All campuses, Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Social Sciences and Humanities
HSB4U online focuses on the use of social science theories, perspectives, and methodologies to investigate and explain shifts in knowledge, attitudes, beliefs, and behaviour and their impact on society. Students will critically analyze how and why cultural, social, and behavioural patterns change over time. They will explore the ideas of social theorists and use those ideas to analyze causes of and responses to challenges such as technological change, deviance, and global inequalities. In HSB4U online, students will explore ways in which social science research methods can be used to study social change.
UNIT ONESocial Science Research and Inquiry Skills
- In this unit, students will learn about APA formatting and the social science inquiry model. Students will learn how to propose a research question and formulate a hypothesis. Students will also learn about social science field work.
UNIT TWOFoundations for the Study of Social Change
- In this unit, students will be introduced to psychology, sociology and anthropology. Students will learn how different cultures and changes in society are studied in these fields. Students will examine different schools of thought within these fields, as well as define theories of change.
UNIT THREECauses and Effects of Social Change
- In this unit, students will learn about influential leaders who have changed the world. Students will also take a closer look at the effects of social conformity and alienation on social change. Students will also take a look at the effects of poverty and affluence on social change as well as the effects of technology.
UNIT FOURSocial Patterns and Trends
- In this unit, students will examine demographics and social determinants. Students will discuss two examples of the theories that consider how the era a person is born in influences social change. Students will investigate social trends and the Canadian census as well as examine social deviance from various perspectives.
UNIT FIVEGlobal Social Challenges
- In this unit, students will examine social challenges related to the global distribution of wealth and resources. Students will discuss theories of globalization and its effects on the world. Students will investigate inequality and the exploitation of various peoples and nations from a variety of perspectives.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of HSB4U online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are two options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance.