HSE4M Equity & Social Justice: From Theory to Practice – Grade 12 (University/College)
PREREQUISITE: Any university, college, or university/college preparation course in social sciences and humanities, English, or Canadian and world studies
GRADE: 12 (University/College)
AVAILABILITY: Full-time – All Campuses, Private – All campuses, Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Social Science and Humanities
HSE4M online enables students to develop an understanding of the theoretical, social, and historical underpinnings of various equity and social justice issues and to analyze strategies for bringing about positive social change. Students will learn about historical and contemporary equity and social justice issues in Canada and globally. They will explore power relations and the impact of a variety of factors on equity and social justice. Students will develop and apply research skills and will design and implement a social action initiative relating to an equity or social justice issue.
UNIT ONEFrom Theory: Foundations of Equity and Social Justice
- In this unit, students will explore the foundations of equity and social justice. Students will learn the language they need to discuss social issues, become exposed to the theories that inform equity issues, and begin to explore specific Canadian and global issues that have informed and continue to challenge social justice practice.
UNIT TWOPower and Privilege
- In this unit, students will explore the concepts of power and privilege, and how they support the framework of societies and how we interact with each other. Students will examine their own role in the power and privilege dynamics that shape their daily lives and challenge notions about where power comes from and how it used as both a destructive and building force.
UNIT THREEMedia and Social Justice
- In this unit, students will begin examining the media with a critical eye, and explore how different media forms play a role in reinforcing and challenging social structures. Students will take an inward look by evaluating their media participation and try strategies that challenge media message and encourage them to seek out new perspectives.
UNIT FOURSocial Justice and You
- In this unit, students will begin taking a personal approach to social justice and activism. This will require students to explore their own experiences and motivations and identify which areas of social justice are most important to them. Students will explore the role art has in self-expression, and the role it can have as activism. Students will also examine how self-care is an important consideration in order to make social justice work effective and sustainable.
UNIT FIVETo Action: Making Change towards Equity
- In this unit, students will start taking the step required to make a real social change. Students will look at what it takes to make the commitment to make social change a viable and sustainable part of being an informed, active citizen. Students will also complete a major research paper in order to dig deeper into an issue they care about.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of HSE4M online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are two options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance.