HSG3M Gender Studies – Grade 11 (University/College)
GRADE: 11 (University/College)
AVAILABILITY: Full-time – All Campuses, Private – All campuses, Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Social Science and Humanities
HSG3M online enables students to explore the social construction of gender. Students will learn about the dynamic nature of gender roles and norms; sexism and power relations; and the impact of representations of women and men in the media, popular culture, and the arts. Students will analyze a range of gender equity issues, including gender-based violence and workplace equity, in both Canadian and global contexts. In HSG3M online, students will develop and apply research skills and will design and implement a social action initiative relating to gender equity.
UNIT ONEThe Construction of Gender
- In this unit, students will explore the notion of gender as a construction, as something that is taught and learned, and can, therefore, be changed, instead of something intrinsic and fixed that they are born with. The goal of the work in this unit is to familiarize themselves with important terms and concepts required to discuss gender and its personal, social, and political implications, as well as give students an opportunity to begin to examine how gender plays a role in their own life.
UNIT TWOPower and Relationships
- In this unit, students will learn what power means in social relationships and consider examining their own personal power. Students will learn about the connections between power, gender, and violence, and think about how gender-based violence can be prevented both at home and abroad.
UNIT THREEGender Rights and Challenges
- In this unit, students should keep in mind this important observation by Nelson Mandela, “To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity”. Students will explore the laws and organizations that work to educate and protect human rights in Canada and around the world. Throughout these lessons, students will learn about issues that affect them now, either at home or at school, as well as important topics that they will encounter later in life through work, education, and relationships.
UNIT FOURSocial Action and You
- In this unit, students will challenge themselves to question ideas and practices as they learn about social justice initiatives around the world. Students will also consider how they can have an impact on the way they consider gender in their daily lives. In addition to exploring the work of others, students will have the opportunity to focus their learning on a topic of personal interest using all the skills they have learned throughout the course.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of HSG3M online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are two options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance.