HZT4U Philosophy: Questions & Theories – Grade 12 (University)
PREREQUISITE: Any university or university/college preparation course in social sciences and humanities, English, or Canadian and world studies
GRADE: 12 (University)
AVAILABILITY: Full-Time – All campuses, Part-Time – All Campuses, Private – All campuses, Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Social Sciences and Humanities
HZT4U online enables students to acquire an understanding of the nature of philosophy and philosophical reasoning skills and to develop and apply their knowledge and skills while exploring specialized branches of philosophy (the course will cover at least three of the following branches: metaphysics, ethics, epistemology, philosophy of science, social and political philosophy, aesthetics). Students will develop critical thinking and philosophical reasoning skills as they formulate and evaluate arguments related to a variety of philosophical questions and theories. In HZT4U online, students will also develop research and inquiry skills related to the study and practice of philosophy.
UNIT ONEResearch and Inquiry Skills & Philosophical Foundations
- In this unit, students will be introduced to a variety of topics related to philosophy as well as some of the major philosophical questions that have enticed philosophers for centuries. Students will also begin to learn about the nature of philosophy, that is, the main branches of philosophy as well as develop an understanding of the components of a philosophical argument.
- In this unit, students will explore the branch of philosophy known as metaphysics which attempts to determine what exists and the basic structure of reality. Students will gain an understanding of some of the major questions of metaphysics such as “What are the ultimate constituents of reality?” “What is the meaning of life?” “What is the self?” and “Do we have free will?”
- In this unit, students will examine ethics. Ethics is the study of how we should live our lives and how we should treat others. Students will examine major philosophical questions such as “What is a good life?” “Are there objective standards for determining good and evil, right and wrong?” and “Why should we act ethically?”
UNIT FOURSocial and Political Philosophy
- In this unit, students will explore social and political philosophy. Social and political philosophy is the study of the fundamental principles of society and the state. Major questions students will explore in this unit include “What are the just limits of state authority?” “Do all people have the right to equal treatment?” “What limits, if any, should be put on the freedom of an individual citizen?” and “What are an individual’s rights and responsibilities?”
- In this unit, students will learn about Aesthetics. This branch of philosophy studies art and beauty. But, what is beauty? What is art? Throughout this unit students will explore major philosophical questions such as “Should art have social value, and, if so, how is its social value determined?” “Is art a uniquely human endeavour?” “Are aesthetic judgements subjective or objective?” and “Can propaganda be art?”
- This exam is the final evaluation of HZT4U online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are two options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email email@example.com if you need assistance.