ICS2O Introduction to Computer Studies – Grade 10 (Open)
GRADE: 10 (Open)
AVAILABILITY: Full-time – All Campuses, Private – All campuses, Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Computer Studies
ICS2O online introduces students to computer programming. Students will plan and write simple computer programs by applying fundamental programming concepts, and learn to create clear and maintainable internal documentation. They will also learn to manage a computer by studying hardware configurations, software selection, operating system functions, networking, and safe computing practices. In ICS2O online, students will also investigate the social impact of computer technologies, and develop an understanding of environmental and ethical issues related to the use of computers.
UNIT ONEUnderstanding Computers
- In this unit, students will be introduced to the basic components of a computer. This unit will provide students with the background knowledge and understanding of computers and their functions.
UNIT TWOComputers and Society
- In this unit, students will be introduced to the basic social impact of technology and gain an understanding of environmental and ethical issues related to the use of computers. The unit will provide students with background knowledge and an understanding of computers and society. Students will learn the relevance of computers to education and the profession.
UNIT THREEIntroduction to Programming
- In this unit, students will be introduced to the basic fundamental concepts and constructs of programming. They will plan and write simple C# programs using the Console Application in Visual Studio Express/Community. This approach to programming is simple because it does not involve a Graphical User Interface (GUI). This is a great learning tool for Program beginners and for learning a new language.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of ICS2O online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are two options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance.