ICS3U Introduction to Computer Science – Grade 11 (University)
GRADE: 11 (University)
AVAILABILITY: Full-time – All Campuses, Private – All campuses, Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Computer Studies
ICS3U online introduces students to computer science. Students will design software independently and as part of a team, using industry-standard programming tools and applying the software development life-cycle model. They will also write and use subprograms within computer programs. Students will develop creative solutions for various types of problems as their understanding of the computing environment grows. In ICS3U online, students will also explore environmental and ergonomic issues, emerging research in computer science, and global career trends in computer-related fields.
UNIT ONEComputer Systems
- In this unit, students will learn about different types of computer hardware and how computer software interacts with that hardware.
UNIT TWOSolving Problems Using Math Algorithms
- In this unit, students will learn about how to solve simple problems by collecting, manipulating, and outputting data using a computer programming language.
UNIT THREESolving Problems Using Control Structures
- In this unit, students will learn how to use selection structures to make programs make decisions, and repetition structures to make programs execute code multiple times.
UNIT FOURSolving Problems Using List Structures
- In this unit, students will learn how to use lists and arrays to store, organize, process, and output large amounts of data.
UNIT FIVESolving Problems Using Modular Programming
- In this unit, students will learn how to use top-down problem-solving methods and write functions in a computer programming language.
UNIT SIXTrends in Computer Science
- In this unit, students will learn about computer programming related careers, be introduced to the field of artificial intelligence, and examine the environmental impact of computer technology.
- This project is one of the final evaluations of ICS3U online. This project will challenge students to use all the concepts they have learned throughout this course and is worth 15% of the final grade.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of ICS3U online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are two options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance.