ICS3U Introduction to Computer Science – Grade 11 (University)
GRADE: 11 (University)
AVAILABILITY: Full-time – All Campuses, Private – All campuses, Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Computer Studies
ICS3U online introduces students to computer science. Students will design software independently and as part of a team, using industry-standard programming tools and applying the software development life-cycle model. They will also write and use subprograms within computer programs. Students will develop creative solutions for various types of problems as their understanding of the computing environment grows. In ICS3U online, students will also explore environmental and ergonomic issues, emerging research in computer science, and global career trends in computer-related fields.
UNIT ONEComputers and Game Programming
- In this unit, students will learn about computer hardware and basic computer programming skills by making computer games using Game Maker.
UNIT TWOPlatform Games
- In this unit, students will learn about how computers use systems like binary and hexadecimal, continue to learn about the logic of programming while making a platform game, and learn about the software development lifecycle.
UNIT THREEThe Game Maker Language
- In this unit, students will learn the Game Maker Language (GML). Students will discover how to add code into their games. Students will explore variables, expressions and more. Students previously made If Else statements with the drag and drop editor in Game Maker, and now they are going to learn how to code If Else statements.
UNIT FOURLoops and Arrays
- In this unit, students will learn how to program loops and arrays and learn more debugging skills. Students will also research postsecondary opportunities in computer science.
- This project is one of the final evaluations of ICS3U online. This project will challenge students to use all the concepts they have learned throughout this course and is worth 15% of the final grade.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of ICS3U online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are three options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- ARRANGE YOUR OWN PROCTOR: If you want to arrange a proctor yourself, you can do that. The proctor will need to be approved by us and will need to supervise the exam at his or her place of work, or at a public place such as a library. Some libraries and study centres offer this service themselves. The proctor must be approved by us and must be a working professional (eg teacher, doctor, businessperson, and must provide a work email address for correspondence (no Gmail, Hotmail, etc.). Please note that the final exam cannot be proctored by a family member or by a tutor for that specific subject. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Select Arranging My Own Proctor and proceed to schedule your exam.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email email@example.com if you need assistance.