ICS4U Computer Science – Grade 12 (University)
PREREQUISITE: Introduction to Computer Science, Grade 11, University Preparation
GRADE: 12 (University)
AVAILABILITY: Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Computer Studies
ICS4U online enables students to further develop knowledge and skills in computer science. Students will use modular design principles to create complex and fully documented programs, according to industry standards. Student teams will manage a large software development project, from planning through to project review. Students will also analyze algorithms for effectiveness. They will investigate ethical issues in computing and further explore environmental issues, emerging technologies, areas of research in computer science, and careers in the field.
UNIT ONEProgramming in Java
- In this unit, students will review programming basics, and work in Java using the Netbeans IDE. Students will learn about data types, commenting, and arrays. Students will also research the impact of computers on the environment.
UNIT TWOModular Programming
- In this unit, students will learn about Object Oriented Programming, how to read and write to files, and how to use industry standards for testing and documenting.
UNIT THREEArrays and Algorithm Analysis
- In this unit, students will investigate efficient ways to search and sort arrays. Students will learn about two-dimensional arrays and how to calculate the worst case time an algorithm takes to run.
UNIT FOURRecursion and Project Management
- In this unit, students will learn how to write recursive methods, make GUIs, and manage projects.
- This project is one of the final evaluations of ICS4U online. This project will challenge students to use all the concepts they have learned throughout this course and is worth 10% of the final grade.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of ICS4U online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are two options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email email@example.com if you need assistance.