IDC3O Interdisciplinary Studies: Athletics – Grade 11 (Open)
GRADE: 11 (Open)
AVAILABILITY: Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Interdisciplinary Studies
CREDIT CROSSOVER: Although Interdisciplinary Studies courses focus on different subject matter, the IDC3O course code can only count as one credit on a student’s transcript, even if multiple IDC3O courses are taken. For example, a student that has completed IDC3O – Athletics and IDC3O – Data Literacy will only earn one credit in total on their final transcript. Each course (along with the final grade) will show, however, a credit value of zero will be applied to the second IDC3O course.
IDC3O online will provide students with an understanding of how to make connections among diverse subjects and disciplines. Students will leave the course with a deep understanding of research and inquiry as it applies to athletics in the past, present, and future. IDC3O online is meant to be highly applicable to the student’s current life as an athlete, and as such, contains assignments and projects that encourage them to apply the information in a personal and relevant context. Students will study athletics in terms of physiology, history, training strategies, and careers.
UNIT ONEThe Athlete's Body
- In this unit, students will examine the complicated and sophisticated human body so that they can understand the basics of how the body works. Students will become capable of targeting their training in order to gain a strong, healthy, active body which athletes require to compete.
UNIT TWOHistory Of Athletics
- In this unit, students will focus on the History of Athletics. Each lesson will explore a different part of history as it relates to how athletics, the athlete and sport have developed over time.
UNIT THREEEffective Training
- In this unit, students will focus on effective training strategies and methods. Each lesson will explore the various elements to consider when creating a training plan. Students will also consider a variety of training methods that could change and enhance training methods.
UNIT FOURCareers in Athletics
- In this unit, students will focus on some of the career opportunities that exist within athletics. Each lesson will explore the various options that exist for athletes to continue in athletics.
- This project is the final evaluation of IDC3O online. This project will be divided into 3 parts, each worth 10% for a total of 30% of the final grade.