LKBBO Simplified Chinese – Level 1 (Open)
AVAILABILITY: Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Classical Studies and International Languages
LKBBO online introduces students to language elements they will need to begin to communicate with native speakers. Students will participate in practical activities in which they can apply their knowledge and skills, and will begin to explore careers that require knowledge of the language of study. They will explore aspects of the culture of countries where the language under study is spoken, including social customs, music, and food, by participating in cultural events and activities involving both print and technological resources.
UNIT ONEIntroduction to Chinese Language
- In this unit, students will gain a basic but important understanding of the Chinese language. What are the unique qualities of Chinese language? What is the difference between the two commonly used terms, “Mandarin” and “Chinese”? How to read Chinese phonetic system and learn to pronounce Chinese? What are the tones of Mandarin pronunciation? How to write Chinese characters? In this unit, a few sound files along with several online resources will help you build a solid foundation to start your learning.
UNIT TWOGreetings and Self Introduction
- In this unit, students will learn to say greetings in a few different ways and to introduce themselves when they meet someone new. Each lesson will be presented with dialogues in an audio format in addition to the texts, followed by the learning of new words (vocabulary) and sentence structures. In addition, students will learn the cultural aspect of addressing people in different ways according to one’s age, social status, or relations.
UNIT THREEMy Family and Friends
- In this unit, students will learn the names of important family relations and to talk about their family’s and friends’ names, nationalities, likes and dislikes, and professions. Each lesson will be presented with a dialogue in an audio format in addition to the texts, followed by the learning of new words and sentence structures. In addition, students will learn the family relations in the context of Chinese culture.
UNIT FOURThe Foods and Drinks I Like
- In this unit, students will learn the vocabulary of popular foods and drinks in Chinese and practice ordering foods and drinks at restaurants and fast food restaurants. Students will learn to talk about the foods and drinks they like or dislike and their daily diet. In addition, students will practice using chopsticks and learn the etiquette of using them in the context of Chinese culture.
UNIT FIVENumbers and Time
- In this unit, students will learn the Chinese numbers and count from 1 to 100. With the knowledge of numbers, students will learn to tell phone numbers, the time, the dates, the days of the week, and age. In addition, the symbolism of numbers in the context of Chinese culture will be introduced, and students will learn the Chinese convention of signing numbers and practice a song and a tongue twister of numbers.
- This project is one of the final evaluations of LKBBO online. This project will challenge students’ knowledge of concepts learned throughout the course and is worth 10% of the final grade.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of the course. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours.
- Please consult our Frequently Asked Questions Page or the Exam section within your course for details on exam proctoring options.