LKBCO Simplified Chinese – Level 2 (Open)
PREREQUISITE: LKBBO Simplified Chinese, Level 1, Academic or Open
AVAILABILITY: Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Classical Studies and International Languages
LKBCO online provides opportunities for students to develop competence and confidence in listening, speaking, reading, and writing in the language of study. Students will communicate about matters of personal interest and everyday topics in interactive settings that emphasize real-life applications and will read and write a variety of texts of increasing complexity in the language. Students will continue to develop their understanding and appreciation of diverse communities in regions of the world where the language is spoken. They will also explore personal and professional contexts in which knowledge of the language is required, and develop skills necessary for lifelong language learning.
UNIT ONEChinese Typing and the Art of Chinese Characters
- In this unit, students will develop an important skill of Chinese typing as well as a further understanding of Chinese writing systems. What are the differences between Simplified and Traditional writing systems? What does Chinese calligraphy look like? How to appreciate Chinese calligraphy? How to set up your computer to type Chinese characters? What online Chinese learning tools are available? In this unit, a few video clips will help students build a solid foundation to start this course.
UNIT TWOShopping and the Chinese Currency
- In this unit, students will learn the common phrases of shopping and the Chinese currency units. Students will practice the dialogues of food and clothing shopping and the related terms of colours and clothes. Several measure words of nouns that are most commonly used will be introduced. In addition, Do’s and Don’ts of gift giving in Chinese cultural context as well as the phrases of making phone calls will be introduced.
UNIT THREESchool Subjects and School Life
- In this unit, students will learn the names of school subjects and how to talk about the subjects they like or dislike and their school activities. Each lesson will be presented with a dialogue first, followed by the learning of new words and sentence structures. A few important sentence structures are introduced and students will get more practice at the end of the lesson.
UNIT FOURHouse, Places and Transportation
- In this unit, students will learn the vocabulary of rooms, furniture, locations, and directions. Students will learn to describe their house and the locations of their surroundings, and students will practice giving directions and talking about modes of transportation.
UNIT FIVEWeather and Health
- In this unit, students will learn to talk about the weather conditions and their physical health. Students will practice discussing the weather patterns of a certain place and practice describing how they feel in the dialogues of seeing a doctor.
- This project is one of the final evaluations of LKBCO online. This project will challenge students’ knowledge of concepts learned throughout this course and is worth 10% of the final grade.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of LKBCO online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours.
- Please consult our Frequently Asked Questions Page or the Exam section within your course for details on exam proctoring options.