LKBCO Simplified Chinese – Level 2 (Open)
PREREQUISITE: LKBBO Simplified Chinese, Level 1, Academic or Open
AVAILABILITY: Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Classical Studies and International Languages
LKBCO online provides opportunities for students to develop competence and confidence in listening, speaking, reading, and writing in the language of study. Students will communicate about matters of personal interest and everyday topics in interactive settings that emphasize real-life applications and will read and write a variety of texts of increasing complexity in the language. Students will continue to develop their understanding and appreciation of diverse communities in regions of the world where the language is spoken. They will also explore personal and professional contexts in which knowledge of the language is required, and develop skills necessary for lifelong language learning.
UNIT ONEChinese Typing and the Art of Chinese Characters
- In this unit, students will develop an important skill of Chinese typing as well as a further understanding of Chinese writing systems. What are the differences between Simplified and Traditional writing systems? What does Chinese calligraphy look like? How to appreciate Chinese calligraphy? How to set up your computer to type Chinese characters? What online Chinese learning tools are available? In this unit, a few video clips will help students build a solid foundation to start this course.
UNIT TWOShopping and the Chinese Currency
- In this unit, students will learn the common phrases of shopping and the Chinese currency units. Students will practice the dialogues of food and clothing shopping and the related terms of colours and clothes. Several measure words of nouns that are most commonly used will be introduced. In addition, Do’s and Don’ts of gift giving in Chinese cultural context as well as the phrases of making phone calls will be introduced.
UNIT THREESchool Subjects and School Life
- In this unit, students will learn the names of school subjects and how to talk about the subjects they like or dislike and their school activities. Each lesson will be presented with a dialogue first, followed by the learning of new words and sentence structures. A few important sentence structures are introduced and students will get more practice at the end of the lesson.
UNIT FOURHouse, Places and Transportation
- In this unit, students will learn the vocabulary of rooms, furniture, locations, and directions. Students will learn to describe their house and the locations of their surroundings, and students will practice giving directions and talking about modes of transportation.
UNIT FIVEWeather and Health
- In this unit, students will learn to talk about the weather conditions and their physical health. Students will practice discussing the weather patterns of a certain place and practice describing how they feel in the dialogues of seeing a doctor.
- This project is one of the final evaluations of LKBCO online. This project will challenge students’ knowledge of concepts learned throughout this course and is worth 20% of the final grade.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of the course. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are three options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- ARRANGE YOUR OWN PROCTOR: If you want to arrange a proctor yourself, you can do that. The proctor will need to be approved by us and will need to supervise the exam at his or her place of work, or at a public place such as a library. Some libraries and study centres offer this service themselves. The proctor must be approved by us and must be a working professional (eg teacher, doctor, businessperson, and must provide a work email address for correspondence (no Gmail, Hotmail, etc.). Please note that the final exam cannot be proctored by a family member or by a tutor for that specific subject. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Select Arranging My Own Proctor and proceed to schedule your exam.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance.