LWIBD Italian – Level 1 (Academic)
AVAILABILITY: Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Classical Studies and International Languages
LWIBD online provides opportunities for students to begin to develop and apply skills in listening, speaking, reading, and writing in Italian. Students will communicate and interact in structured activities, with a focus on matters of personal interest and familiar topics, and will read and write simple texts in Italian. Throughout LWIBD online, students will acquire an understanding and appreciation of diverse communities in regions of the world where Italian is spoken. They will also develop skills necessary for lifelong language learning.
Unit OneCiao! Mi chiamo...
- In this unit, students will be learning the basics of Italian linguistic structures. Students will be introduced to the agreement of determinate and indeterminate articles and nouns, both regular and irregular. They will also be studying the present indicative, both regular and irregular verbs. Students will acquire a vocabulary related to introductions and descriptions.
UNIT TWOLa piazza e la città
- In this unit, students will be studying Italian cities and the vocabulary used to describe elements of the city from piazza to Strada and how to move around in the city. Students will be introduced to the past tense in Italian.
UNIT THREEGetting Around
- In this unit, students will explore getting around by various means, in the city, around Italy, and around the world. Students will be introduced to the use of common coordinating and subordinating conjunctions and the use of negative forms. Students will expand their vocabulary and practice their Listening, Speaking, Reading, and Writing skills.
UNIT FOURActivities and work
- In this unit, students will explore careers and a variety of activities, including leisure and extra-curricular activities. Students will be able to discuss a daily schedule with reference to time and the calendar. Topics in grammar are reflexive verbs, the formation of demonstrative adverbs, adjectives, and pronouns. Students will expand their vocabulary and practice their Listening, Speaking, Reading, and Writing skills.
UNIT FIVEFood / Il Cibo
- In this unit, students will explore the theme of food – shopping for food, restaurants, and food preferences. Topics in grammar are the degrees of comparison with adjectives and adverbs, and interrogative pronouns. Students will expand their vocabulary and practice their Listening, Speaking, Reading, and Writing skills.
- This project is one of the final evaluations of LWIBD online. This project will require students to use all that they have learned throughout the course. This project will be worth 10% of the final grade.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of LWIBD online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are three options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- ARRANGE YOUR OWN PROCTOR: If you want to arrange a proctor yourself, you can do that. The proctor will need to be approved by us and will need to supervise the exam at his or her place of work, or at a public place such as a library. Some libraries and study centres offer this service themselves. The proctor must be approved by us and must be a working professional (eg teacher, doctor, businessperson, and must provide a work email address for correspondence (no Gmail, Hotmail, etc.). Please note that the final exam cannot be proctored by a family member or by a tutor for that specific subject. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Select Arranging My Own Proctor and proceed to schedule your exam.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email email@example.com if you need assistance.