MCF3M Functions and Applications – Grade 11 (University/College)
PREREQUISITE: Principles of Mathematics, Grade 10, Academic, or Foundations of Mathematics, Grade 10, Applied
GRADE: 11 (University/College)
AVAILABILITY: Full-time – All Campuses, Part-time – All Campuses, Private – All campuses, Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Mathematics
MCF3M online introduces basic features of the function by extending students’ experiences with quadratic relations. It focuses on quadratic, trigonometric, and exponential functions and their use in modelling real-world situations. Students will represent functions numerically, graphically, and algebraically; simplify expressions; solve equations, and solve problems relating to applications. In MCF3M online, students will reason mathematically and communicate their thinking as they solve multi-step problems.
UNIT ONEIntroduction to Functions
- In this unit, students will be introduced to functions. Students will analyze the existence of functions, be introduced to function notation and students will graph various types of functions.
UNIT TWOQuadratic Relations
- In this unit, students will be investigating ways to solve quadratic equations, determine the number of solutions to a quadratic equation, and identify information about a quadratic relation by studying their various forms.
UNIT THREESolving Quadratic Equations
- In this unit, students will develop the skills necessary to analyze quadratic functions and relate their findings to real-world contexts. Quadratics are powerful relationships that can be used to understand a variety of real-world phenomena.
- In this unit, students will be reintroduced to SOH CAH TOA, Sine law, and Cosine law and build on them. Students will explore angles and side lengths right angle properties as well as apply the sine and cosine law to solve various real-life applications.
UNIT FIVETrigonometric Functions
- In this unit, students will gain an understanding of trigonometric functions and how they can be used to model phenomenon such as the swinging of a pendulum.
UNIT SIXExponential Functions
- In this unit, students will build on the understanding of basic functions they developed in previous units, extending it to develop an understanding of the key characteristics of exponential functions.
UNIT SEVENFinancial Applications
- In this unit, students will connect and apply topics of study throughout the course to the concept of finance. The question every math teacher gets at least once per lesson is “when are we ever going to use this!?” The good news is this unit contains real-life applications of most concepts from this course! This unit will apply the knowledge students obtained from the following units: Algebraic Tools, Introduction to Functions and Exponential Functions.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of MCF3M online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are two options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email email@example.com if you need assistance.