MCR3U Functions – Grade 11 (University)
PREREQUISITE: Principles of Mathematics, Grade 10, Academic
GRADE: 11 (University)
AVAILABILITY: Full-time – All Campuses, Part-time – All Campuses, Private – All campuses, Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Mathematics
UNIT ONEAlgebraic Tools
- In this unit, students will begin with a few review lessons to activate previous understanding of basic algebraic tools. They will then develop new algebraic skills that build off of these previous understandings.
UNIT TWOIntroduction to Functions
- In this unit, students will build on the algebraic skills they developed in the previous unit. Students will learn concepts such as domain and range, transformations of basic functions, and inverse functions. Most of these concepts are considered foundational skills that will be developed further throughout this course. This unit will also introduce new notation that uses the concept of the function.
UNIT THREEExponential Functions
- In this unit, students will identify specific characteristics of exponential functions that can be observed both graphically and in their equations and apply familiar transformations to the graphs of exponential functions. Students will solve exponential equations using algebraic strategies and exponent laws. Students will also analyze and solve real-world scenarios and problems using exponential functions.
- In this unit, students will be reintroduced to the familiar concepts of SOH CAH TOA, Sine law and Cosine law. Students will build on them, leading to an introduction of trigonometric functions. By the end of this unit, students will have an understanding of trigonometric functions and how they can be used to model phenomenon such as the swinging of a pendulum.
UNIT FIVESequences and Series
- In this unit, students are introduced to a new type of function: the discrete function. In this course, discrete functions will take the form of sequences and series. A sequence is a list of numbers with some discernible pattern. Think back to your early studies of mathematics. You may recall problems that would present you with a list of numbers and it was your job to determine the pattern and maybe even predict the next three terms in the sequence. This unit will involve building on students knowledge of sequences like these, but they will be modelling them using functions that allow them to predict any term in the sequence.
UNIT SIXFinancial Applications
- In this unit, students will connect and apply topics of study throughout the course to the concept of finance. The question every math teacher gets at least once per lesson is “when are we ever going to use this!?” The good news is this unit contains real-life applications of most concepts from this course! This unit will apply the knowledge students obtained from the following units: Algebraic Tools, Introduction to Functions and Exponential Functions.
- This project is one of the final evaluations of MCR3U online. This project will challenge students to use their knowledge of concepts learned throughout the course. This culminating project is worth 10% of the final grade.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of MCR3U online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are two options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email email@example.com if you need assistance.