MCV4U Calculus and Vectors – Grade 12 (University)
PREREQUISITE: Advanced Functions course (MHF4U) must be taken prior to or concurrently with Calculus and Vectors (MCV4U)
GRADE: 12 (University)
AVAILABILITY: Full-time – All Campuses, Part-time – All campuses, Private – All campuses, Summer School – Accelerated, Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Mathematics
- In this unit, students will be studying a quantity known as a vector. It is simply your typical line segment with a direction, but what is surprising is the number of applications that make use of it. For example, in the field of physics there is position, displacement, velocity, acceleration, forces, momentum, fields and so on. Students will look at some vector applications and solve related problems both geometrically and algebraically by performing operations on vectors.
UNIT TWOLines and Planes
- In this unit, students will be required to combine the understandings from the previous unit with new concepts such as three-dimensional vectors and planes.
UNIT THREERates of Change
- In this unit, students will notice a shift in content as we move from the vectors portion of the course to the calculus portion. Students will be introduced to the idea of a rate of change. This is one of the most important concepts needed to understand calculus and will be used often throughout the course.
- In this unit, students will be introduced to one of the most fundamental operations in the study of calculus – the derivative! Understanding the derivative will require the use of the understandings students developed throughout the first unit. A concrete understanding of the derivative is necessary to understand the remaining units in this course.
UNIT FIVECurve Sketching
- In this unit, students will develop the skills needed to sketch any given function. This unit will require students to connect algebraic concepts with graphical concepts in order to deepen their understanding of what the graph of a given function looks like.
UNIT SIXDerivatives of Exponential and Sinusoidal Functions
- In this unit, students will be required to apply their understanding of derivatives to analyze both exponential and sinusoidal functions.
- This project is one of the final evaluations of MCV4U online. This project will challenge students to use the knowledge and skills they gained throughout this course and is worth 10% of the final grade.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of MCV4U online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are two options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance.