MDM4U Mathematics of Data Management – Grade 12 (University)
PREREQUISITES: Functions, Grade 11, University Preparation, or Functions and Applications, Grade 11, University/College Preparation
GRADE: 12 (University)
AVAILABILITY: Full-time – All Campuses, Part-time – All campuses, Private – All campuses, Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Mathematics
MDM4U online broadens students’ understanding of mathematics as it relates to managing information. Students will apply methods for organizing large amounts of information; solve problems involving counting techniques, probability, and statistics; and carry out a culminating project that integrates the expectations of the course. Students will continue to develop the mathematical processes necessary for success in senior mathematics. Students planning to pursue university programs in business, the social sciences, and the humanities will find MDM4U online of particular interest.
- In this Unit, students will be studying probability and it’s characteristics. Students will also learn counting principles and then apply those to calculating probabilities.
UNIT TWOCollecting Data
- In this Unit, students will be studying Data Collection, how it’s done and its characteristics. Students will learn how to recognize good data from bad data. The first step to good data management is good data collection. This unit looks at what data is, the various ways one can gather and collect it, and how to do all of this in a way that keeps the information free of bias. There are a lot of terms and ideas in this unit rather than calculations. It is also a fairly small unit but is crucial to good data management because whatever we learn after this could be disregarded if it was not collected in an accurate and fair manner.
UNIT THREEVariable Data Analysis Part 1
- In this Unit, students will be learning about the tools for analyzing one variable data sets. Students will learn tools to visually organize the information as well as numerically. Students will also learn other tools that they can use to summarize and explain data sets.
UNIT FOURVariable Data Analysis Part 2
- In this Unit, students will be learning the analysis of two-variable data. Students will learn to calculate regression and correlation by hand and technology. Students will also examine how to use graphs to come to conclusions as well as avoiding bias.
UNIT FIVEProbability Distributions
- In this unit, students will learn about how the concepts of probability and normal distribution connect and how they can use this information to help them make predictions and conclusions.
UNIT SIXConfidence Intervals
- In this unit, students are studying Confidence Intervals. These are basically ranges that we predict will have our mean for the data.
- This project is one of the final evaluations of MDM4U online. This project will challenge students to use the knowledge and skills they gained throughout this course and is worth 10% of the final grade.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of MDM4U online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are two options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email email@example.com if you need assistance.