MPM1D Principles of Mathematics – Grade 9 (Academic)
GRADE: 9 (Academic)
AVAILABILITY: Availability: Full-time – All Campuses, Private – All campuses, Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Mathematics
MPM1D online enables students to develop an understanding of mathematical concepts related to algebra, analytic geometry, and measurement and geometry through investigation, the effective use of technology, and abstract reasoning. Students will investigate relationships, which they will then generalize as equations of lines, and will determine the connections between different representations of a linear relation. They will also explore relationships that emerge from the measurement of three-dimensional figures and two-dimensional shapes. In MPM1D online, students will reason mathematically and communicate their thinking as they solve multi-step problems.
UNIT ONERational Numbers
- In this unit, students will learn how to relate rational numbers to decimals, fractions, and integers. Students will also learn how to evaluate expressions involving rational numbers.
UNIT TWOPowers and Polynomials
- In this unit, students will learn how to represent polynomials geometrically, simplify polynomial expressions using exponents and other mathematical principles, add and subtract polynomials, multiply polynomials by monomials.
UNIT THREELinear Relations
- In this unit, students will learn how to describe properties of linear relations, recognize whether a relation is linear or nonlinear from a table of values, a graph, an algebraic expression, or a written description. Students will also learn to create different representations of linear and nonlinear relations.
UNIT FOURLinear Equations
- In this unit, students will solve linear equations using a variety of strategies. Students will rearrange linear equations and formulas and find the point of intersection of two linear relations using a graph.
UNIT FIVEAnalytic Geometry
- In this unit, students will find the slope of a line, find the equation of a line and find the equations of parallel and perpendicular lines.
UNIT SIXInvestigating Relationships
- In this unit, students will use a scatter plot to analyze data and draw a line or curve of best fit. Students will find the equation of the line of best fit and find trends or patterns in the data and make conjectures. Students will also use graphs to describe situations like displacement over time.
UNIT SEVENProperties of 2-D Figures
- In this unit, students will investigate and apply the properties of interior and exterior angles of polygons. Students will investigate and apply the properties of the diagonals of polygons and line segments created using the midpoints of sides of polygons. Students will create and test conjectures, and give supporting examples or counterexamples.
- In this unit, students will learn how to find the area, surface area, and the volume of various shapes, such as trapezoids, prisms, pyramids, cylinders, cones, and spheres. Students will also learn how to optimize area and volume.
- This project is one of the final evaluation of MPM1D online. This project will assess students knowledge of concepts taught in the course and is worth 20% of their final grade.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of MPM1D online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be 1.5 hours. There are two options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance.