MPM2D Principles of Mathematics – Grade 10 (Academic)
PREREQUISITE: Principles of Mathematics, Grade 9, Academic or Mathematics Transfer Course
GRADE: 10 (Academic)
AVAILABILITY: Full-time – All Campuses, Part-time – All campuses, Private – All campuses, Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Mathematics
MPM2D online enables students to broaden their understanding of relationships and extend their problem-solving and algebraic skills through investigation, the effective use of technology, and abstract reasoning. Students will explore quadratic relations and their applications; solve and apply linear systems; verify properties of geometric figures using analytic geometry, and investigate the trigonometry of right and acute triangles. In MPM2D online, students will reason mathematically and communicate their thinking as they solve multi-step problems.
UNIT ONELinear Systems
- In this unit, students will investigate how to determine the point of intersection of two lines algebraically and graphically. students will apply their knowledge to examine real-world scenarios that can be modelled using a linear system of equations and interpret the meaning of a point of intersection through the lens of the real-world application.
UNIT TWOAnalytic Geometry
- In this unit, students will investigate a series of tools that are useful in geometric problem-solving scenarios. Students will apply their understanding of analytic geometry tools to classify quadrilaterals based on their determined properties. Students will also combine their understanding of analytic geometry tools with their understanding of linear relations to solve complex geometry problems.
UNIT THREESimilar Triangles and Trigonometry
- In this unit, students will learn to analyze and classify triangles as similar or congruent. Students will also investigate the relationship between sides and angles in both right and non-right triangles. Students will apply their understanding of trigonometric ratios to determine unknown sides and angles, as well as solve problems that are encountered in the real-world.
Unit FourQuadratic Expressions
- In this unit, students will develop strategies for representing trinomial expressions in different forms. Students will learn to select the appropriate strategy for any given problem. These skills are important and considered foundational for the remainder of this course and future mathematics studies.
UNIT FIVEQuadratic Equations (Part I)
- In this unit, students will investigate the properties of the vertex form of a quadratic relation and apply these properties to graph quadratic relations. Students will also develop the skills necessary for converting standard form to vertex form. Students will apply these skills to solve real-world problems involving maximums and minimums of quadratic models.
UNIT SIXQuadratic Equations (Part II)
- In this unit, students will develop an understanding of how factoring can be used to determine the x-intercepts of a quadratic relation. Students will investigate how the quadratic formula can be used to determine the x-intercepts when factoring is not possible. Students will make connections between the x-intercepts of a quadratic and real-world context, while also applying their new skills to solve real-world problems involving maximums and minimums of quadratic models.
- This project is one of the final evaluations of MPM2D online. The culminating activity will make up 10% of the final mark. It is designed so that students can work on it throughout the course.
- This exam is the final evaluation of MPM2D online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be 1.5 hours. There are two options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email email@example.com if you need assistance.