NDW4M Issues of Indigenous Peoples in a Global Context – Grade 12 (University/College)
PREREQUISITE: Any Grade 11 university, university/college, or college preparation course in Native studies
GRADE: 12 (University/College)
AVAILABILITY: Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Native Studies
NDW4M online provides students with an overview of the issues and challenges that confront indigenous peoples worldwide. Students will develop an understanding of the concerns and aspirations of the world’s indigenous population, plan and conduct research on global issues that have an impact on indigenous peoples. In NDW4M online, students will use information technology to consult materials related to the views of indigenous peoples throughout the world.
- In this unit, students will examine the issues around the fluidity of terms relating to Indigenous Peoples in different contexts. Students will cover aspects that make up Indigenous identities, i.e.: geographic location, spirituality, worldview, governance, etc. Students will also pay close attention to the efforts of Indigenous Peoples globally to assert their rights and visibility as distinct peoples.
- In this unit, students will build upon their understanding of Indigenous identities and extend into discussion and analysis of the relationships between Indigenous peoples and state governments, Indigenous peoples and settlers, and with other Indigenous nations. Students will pay special attention to key theoretical concerns in Critical Indigenous Studies.
- In this unit, students will demonstrate the genesis of the term “sovereignty” in European International Law to demonstrate how imperialism, colonialism, and settler-colonial forms became dominant. This conception of sovereignty will be juxtaposed with Indigenous understandings of sovereignty, and perhaps different terms/articulations of self-determination. Students will build upon their knowledge of world-views and relationships.
- In this unit, students will learn about the issues facing Indigenous Peoples globally taking into consideration common struggles and also unique circumstances. Students will engage in researching key events and moments where Indigenous Peoples have faced challenges with resiliency and resolve.
- This project is one of the final evaluations of NDW4M online. This project will be worth 15% of the final grade.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of NDW4M online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are three options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- ARRANGE YOUR OWN PROCTOR: If you want to arrange a proctor yourself, you can do that. The proctor will need to be approved by us and will need to supervise the exam at his or her place of work, or at a public place such as a library. Some libraries and study centres offer this service themselves. The proctor must be approved by us and must be a working professional (eg teacher, doctor, businessperson, and must provide a work email address for correspondence (no Gmail, Hotmail, etc.). Please note that the final exam cannot be proctored by a family member or by a tutor for that specific subject. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Select Arranging My Own Proctor and proceed to schedule your exam.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance.