PPL1O Healthy Active Living Education – Grade 9 (Open)
GRADE: 9 (Open)
AVAILABILITY: Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Health and Physical Education
PPL1O online equips students with the knowledge and skills they need to make healthy choices now and lead healthy, active lives in the future. Through participation in a wide range of physical activities, students develop knowledge and skills related to movement competence and personal fitness that provide a foundation for active living. Students also acquire an understanding of the factors and skills that contribute to healthy development and learn how their own well-being is affected by, and affects, the world around them. In PPL1O online, students build their sense of self, learn to interact positively with others, and develop their ability to think critically and creatively.
UNIT ONEFitness Plan and Nutritional/Sexual Health
- In this unit, students will develop a fitness plan and learn about nutritional health. Students will determine the availability of healthy food around them and learn to create healthy meal plans for different individuals. Students will learn about male and female puberty, methods of protection for safe sex and discover Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) that can be contracted when having sex. Students will examine the factors that can influence a person’s understanding of their gender identity and sexual orientation.
UNIT TWOSafety and Substance Abuse
- In this unit, students will demonstrate behaviours and apply procedures that maximize their safety and that of others in a variety of physical activity settings. Students will learn CPR techniques, when and how to them and gain an understanding of an automated external defibrillator. Students will discuss how one must be aware when using social media and determine what bullying and cyberbullying is. Students will examine strategies to use when faced with bullying or being a bystander. Students will understand how people become addicted to drugs, video games, etc. and explore the pressure that friends and the media put on teens. Students will critically examine the pressures to use tobacco and alcohol.
UNIT THREEMovement and Personal/Interpersonal Skills
- In this unit, students will conduct a combination of stability and locomotor movements. Students will explore the different phases of movement to be able to refine their skills as they participate in physical activities. Students will determine their personal strengths and weaknesses as well as explore what stress is and how to create a schedule to help overcome it. Students will learn the difference between healthy and unhealthy relationships and discover effective verbal and non-verbal communication. Students will also discuss abuse of officials during sporting events in Ontario.
UNIT FOURFair Play and Creative/Critical Thinking Skills
- In this unit, students will learn about ethical and fair play as well as the components of a range of physical activities. Students will critically assess and design a play.
- This project is one of the final evaluation of PPL1O online. This project will be worth 20% of the final grade.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of PPL1O online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours.
- Please consult our Frequently Asked Questions Page or the Exam section within your course for details on exam proctoring options.