PPL3O Healthy Active Living Education – Grade 11 (Open)
GRADE: 11 (Open)
AVAILABILITY: Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Health and Physical Education
PPL3O online enables students to further develop the knowledge and skills they need to make healthy choices now and lead healthy, active lives in the future. Through participation in a wide range of physical activities and exposure to a broader range of activity settings, students enhance their movement competence, personal fitness, and confidence. Students also acquire an understanding of the factors and skills that contribute to healthy development and learn how their own well-being is affected by, and affects, the world around them. In PPL3O online, students build their sense of self, learn to interact positively with others, and develop their ability to think critically and creatively.
UNIT ONEFitness Plan and Nutrition
- In this unit, students will develop personal fitness plans. Students will learn how to continue to have good nutrition while managing various health conditions. Students will also learn to identify the issues surrounding their food and understand how their food choices are impacted by these issues.
UNIT TWOSafety and Sexual Health/Stress
- In this unit, students will learn about how to perform a variety of fitness activities properly and safely. Students will also learn how important reproductive and sexual health are. Students will learn about proactive measures that they can take to ensure their reproductive and sexual health so to avoid or minimize certain health conditions. Students will also learn about a variety of stressful situations that they may encounter and what strategies there are to deal with those situations.
UNIT THREEMovement and Risks/Substance Abuse
- In this unit, students will learn about different phases of movement and movement principles in relation to a physical activity. Students will also learn to identify risky behaviours that may lead to a situation that could cause harm to themselves and others and factors that influence choices to get involved. Students will discuss the impact of actions that can lead to injury as well as ways to prevent these risks. Students will learn about the social and financial impacts of risky behaviours as well as factors that can increase someone’s risk of getting involved in substance use behaviours.
UNIT FOURFair Play and Mental Health
- In this unit, students will learn about ethical and fair play standards that create a rewarding activity environment. Students will also learn about a variety of mental illnesses, their causes and manifestations so that they can understand their effects on overall health. Students will discuss how to identify a variety of addictions and understand their symptoms and causes and how addictions affect overall health. Students will learn about mental health stigma and how to decrease it in their community. Finally, students will learn about some of the warning signs for suicide and the sources of support that are available to help those in need.
- This project is one of the final evaluations of PPL3O online. This project will be worth 15% of the final grade.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of PPL3O online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are three options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- ARRANGE YOUR OWN PROCTOR: If you want to arrange a proctor yourself, you can do that. The proctor will need to be approved by us and will need to supervise the exam at his or her place of work, or at a public place such as a library. Some libraries and study centres offer this service themselves. The proctor must be approved by us and must be a working professional (eg teacher, doctor, businessperson, and must provide a work email address for correspondence (no Gmail, Hotmail, etc.). Please note that the final exam cannot be proctored by a family member or by a tutor for that specific subject. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Select Arranging My Own Proctor and proceed to schedule your exam.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email email@example.com if you need assistance.