PPL3O Healthy Active Living Education – Grade 11 (Open)
GRADE: 11 (Open)
AVAILABILITY: Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Health and Physical Education
PPL3O online enables students to further develop the knowledge and skills they need to make healthy choices now and lead healthy, active lives in the future. Through participation in a wide range of physical activities and exposure to a broader range of activity settings, students enhance their movement competence, personal fitness, and confidence. Students also acquire an understanding of the factors and skills that contribute to healthy development and learn how their own well-being is affected by, and affects, the world around them. In PPL3O online, students build their sense of self, learn to interact positively with others, and develop their ability to think critically and creatively.
UNIT ONEFitness Plan and Nutrition
- In this unit, students will develop personal fitness plans. Students will learn how to continue to have good nutrition while managing various health conditions. Students will also learn to identify the issues surrounding their food and understand how their food choices are impacted by these issues.
UNIT TWOSafety and Sexual Health/Stress
- In this unit, students will learn about how to perform a variety of fitness activities properly and safely. Students will also learn how important reproductive and sexual health are. Students will learn about proactive measures that they can take to ensure their reproductive and sexual health so to avoid or minimize certain health conditions. Students will also learn about a variety of stressful situations that they may encounter and what strategies there are to deal with those situations.
UNIT THREEMovement and Risks/Substance Abuse
- In this unit, students will use adaptive, management, and coping skills to help them respond to the various challenges they encounter as they participate in physical activities, develop movement competence, and acquire knowledge and skills related to healthy active living. Students will learn about the phases of movement and different movement principles. Students will be able to identify different types of conflict and be able to identify and apply a conflict resolution strategy based on the type of conflict that they encounter. Students will define substance abuse and communicate the impact of abusing substances on overall health and well-being. They will apply the appropriate skills to respond to a challenging situation involving substance use, addictions, and other related behaviours. Finally, students will identify the impact of addictions at a local, societal, and global level.
UNIT FOURFair Play and Mental Health
- In this unit, students will learn about ethical and fair play standards that create a rewarding activity environment. Students will also learn about a variety of mental illnesses, their causes and manifestations so that they can understand their effects on overall health. Students will discuss how to identify a variety of addictions and understand their symptoms and causes and how addictions affect overall health. Students will learn about mental health stigma and how to decrease it in their community. Finally, students will learn about some of the warning signs for suicide and the sources of support that are available to help those in need.
- This project is one of the final evaluations of PPL3O online. This project will be worth 15% of the final grade.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of PPL3O online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours.
- Please consult our Frequently Asked Questions Page or the Exam section within your course for details on exam proctoring options.