PSK4U Introductory Kinesiology – Grade 12 (University)
PREREQUISITE: Any Grade 11 university or university/college preparation course in science, or any Grade 11 or 12 course in health and physical education
GRADE: 12 (University)
AVAILABILITY: Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Health and Physical Education
PSK4U online focuses on the study of human movement and of systems, factors, and principles involved in human development. Students will learn about the effects of physical activity on health and performance, the evolution of physical activity and sport, and the physiological, psychological, and social factors that influence an individual’s participation in physical activity and sport. PSK4U online prepares students for university programs in physical education and health, kinesiology, health sciences, health studies, recreation, and sports administration.
UNIT ONEAnatomy and Physiology
- In this unit, students will receive an essential introduction to the course. Students will begin by learning how to define human movement, then focus on skeletal and muscular anatomy. Students will focus on muscular contractions and end by examining the cardiovascular system.
UNIT TWOHuman Performance and Biomechanics
- In this unit, students will focus on three separate topics. First, students will put their anatomy knowledge to action through analyzing the Biomechanics of the human body. Second, they will investigate Nutrition and healthy eating practices. Lastly, students will learn Fitness principles and how to design a proper personalized plan.
UNIT THREEMotor Development and Sport Psychology
- In this unit, students will focus on the basis of executing a skill. Students will learn how humans develop from childhood to adulthood. Next, they will learn how to properly analyze a skill. Finally, students will focus on the mental side of sport and exercise, taking an in-depth look at Sports Psychology.
UNIT FOURSport in Society
- In this unit, students will examine the social and economic side of sport and exercise. Students will review the history of sport and the Olympic games. Students will then investigate the unique role of sport in culture. Lastly, students will examine the growing economic importance of the sporting world as they look into the business of sport.
- This project is one of the final evaluations of PSK4U online. This project will challenge students to apply the knowledge their learned in every unit and is worth 15% of the final grade.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of PSK4U online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours.
- Please consult our Frequently Asked Questions Page or the Exam section within your course for details on exam proctoring options.