SAT Preparation Course
AVAILABILITY: Blyth Academy Online
Please Note: This is a preparation course only. A credit will not be issued by Blyth Academy Online.
In this SAT Preparation course, students gain practice and confidence toward taking the official SAT exam. All homework, assignments and practice tests will be finished online. This SAT Prep Course covers
UNIT ONEReading & Grammar
- In this unit, students will be provided with a general overview of the new SAT reading section, and with general strategies to keep in mind as they begin to prepare for the test. Students will review grammar, punctuation, sentence structure and context clues. Students will practice passage based readings and answer questions about them.
UNIT TWOAlgebra and Advanced Math
- In this unit, students will go over linear functions, equations, inequalities and systems. Students will review quadratic, exponential, polynomial and rational functions as well as radicals and imaginary numbers.
UNIT THREEWriting And Language
- In this unit, students will review precision, Concision, Style & Tone. Students will go over proper syntax and punctuation. Students will also review subordination, coordination, parallel structure and pronouns. Students will analyze frequently confused words, as well as subject verbs/noun agreement. Students will also do a writing passage practice.
UNIT FOURProblem Solving and Data Management
- In this unit, students will review rates, ratios, measurement, scatter plots, curves of best fit and probability. Students will also review measures of centre and measures of spread.
UNIT FIVEThe Essay
- In this unit, students will prepare for the essay portion of the SAT. The purpose of the new SAT Essay is to assess students’ ability to analyze an author’s argument. To write a strong essay, students will need to focus on how the author uses evidence, reasoning, and other rhetorical techniques to build his or her argument and make it convincing.
UNIT SIXStrategies To Get The Best Score
- In this Unit, students will review some of what they have already talked about in terms of strategies to get through the SAT test on the actual day. Students will also look at ways to cope with the stress and anxiety of test day – and how to stay calm, relaxed prior and what to do during the test if they feel overwhelmed or start to panic.
- This culminating activity is the final task of the course. This activity will provide students with the opportunity to challenge their knowledge of concepts learned throughout this course in preparation for the SAT exam.