SBI3C Biology – Grade 11 (College)
PREREQUISITE: Science, Grade 10, Academic or Applied
GRADE: 11 (College)
AVAILABILITY: Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Science
SBI3C online focuses on the processes that occur in biological systems. Students will learn concepts and theories as they conduct investigations in the areas of cellular biology, microbiology, genetics, the anatomy of mammals, and the structure of plants and their role in the natural environment. In SBI3C online, emphasis will be placed on the practical application of concepts, and on the skills needed for further study in various branches of the life sciences and related fields.
UNIT ONECellular Biology
- In this unit, students will learn about Cellular Biology. Cellular Biology is the study of cell structure and function, and it revolves around the concept that the cell is the fundamental unit of life. By understanding what is happening at a cellular level, students will gain a better understanding of life in general.
- In this unit, students will examine Microbiology. Microbiology is all about the study of the living things that cannot be seen with the naked eye. This unit explores the different types of microbes and how they shape and affect the world.
- In this unit, students will learn about Genetics. Genetics is the science of hereditary information. This unit introduces the concepts of how genetic information is packaged and passed on from generation to generation.
UNIT FOURAnatomy of Mammals
- In this unit, students will focus on the internal systems of mammals, with a special focus on the digestive, respiratory, and circulatory systems. Students will also look at what can go wrong to cause diseases and disorders and technology that relates to the systems.
UNIT FIVEPlants in the Natural Environment
- In this unit, students will explore the world of plants in terms of their structure, how they grow and reproduce, and how they shape the environment around them.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of SBI3C online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are two options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email email@example.com if you need assistance.