SBI3Ur Repeat Biology – Grade 11 (University)
PREREQUISITE: Science, Grade 10, Academic
GRADE: 11 (University)
AVAILABILITY: Full-time – All Campuses, Private – All campuses, Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Science
SBI3Ur online furthers students’ understanding of the processes that occur in biological systems. Students will study theory and conduct investigations in the areas of biodiversity; evolution; genetic processes; the structure and function of animals; and the anatomy, growth, and function of plants. SBI3Ur online focuses on the theoretical aspects of the topics under study and helps students refine skills related to scientific investigation.
- In this unit, students will explore cell theory as well as DNA structure and function. Students will make connections between meiosis and genetic diversity. Students will also explore inheritance of genetic characteristics at the most basic level. Students will further begin to predict the outcomes of genetic crosses using simple probability tables, predict the outcomes of genetic crosses involving incomplete and co-dominant traits and predict the outcomes of genetic crosses involving multiple alleles and sex-linkage.
- In this unit, students will look at the social and physiological impacts of the obesity epidemic. Emphasis will be placed on proper nutrition with micro and macro nutrients and how obesity impacts all organ systems in the body. Students will also look at the path that food and water takes as it goes through their bodies as well as the accessory organs for digestion and their functions. Students will then look at the structure and function of the organs of the respiratory and circulatory systems and how they connect to the digestive system.
- In this unit, students will explore classical Linnaean binomial classification to help them classify diversity of life on Earth. Students will also practice interpreting and creating dichotomous keys to separate different organisms based on their physical characteristics. Students will examine the lifeforms under the six kingdoms in regards to how they look, live and reproduce.
- In this unit, students will begin to investigate how organisms and populations can change over time in response to environmental pressures. Students will examine the impact of human beings on the selection process through artificial selection. Students will explore the development of the Theory of Evolution by looking at how scientific theories are formed, and the various research that led to Darwin creating the theory. Students will investigate the mechanisms of evolution – gene flow, genetic drift, mutations, non-random mating and various types of selection.
- In this unit, students will examine the differences and similarities between various plants in regards to their structure and function. Students will learn about photosynthesis and the various plant tissues. Students will look into xylem and phloem to see how food and water are transported through a plant and how plants grow and adapt based on various environmental stimuli. This unit will also examine what plant hormones are and how they impact plant growth.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of SBI3Ur online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are two options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email email@example.com if you need assistance.