SBI4U Biology – Grade 12 (University)
PREREQUISITE: Biology, Grade 11, University Preparation
GRADE: 12 (University)
AVAILABILITY: Full-time – All Campuses, Part-time – All Campuses, Private – All campuses, Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARION CURRICULUM: Science
COURSE FEE: $595
SBI4U Course Overview
SBI4U Course Overview
- In this unit, students will learn about electronegativity and intermolecular forces. Students will also learn about organic compounds and the importance of functional groups. Students will investigate macromolecules including carbohydrates, lipids, proteins and nucleic acids. Students will take a closer look at enzymes and enzyme activity as well as the different parts of a cell and their functions including membrane structure, function and transport.
Unit TwoMetabolic Processes
- In this unit, students will learn about metabolic processes including cellular respiration and it’s various stages. Students will also learn about Photosynthesis and light dependent and light independent reactions.
UNIT THREEMolecular Genetics
- In this unit, students will learn about the structure of DNA and RNA as well as DNA replication. They will learn about protein synthesis; transcription and translation. Students will investigate gene regulation and how mutations occur. Students will also learn about various biotechnological tools and techniques.
- In this unit, students will learn about homeostasis and it’s significance. Students will also learn about the nervous system and the functions of both the central and peripheral nervous systems. They will investigate the endocrine system and learn about the hormones that affect their blood sugar, stress and metabolism. Students will also learn about the different reproductive hormones. Students will learn about the excretory system and why it is important for their bodies to excrete wastes.
UNIT FIVEPopulation Dynamics
- In this unit, students will learn about population dynamics. Students will investigate the changes in population, factors that regulate natural populations and the effects of human population growth, personal consumption and technological development.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of SBI4U online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours.
- Please consult our Frequently Asked Questions Page or the Exam section within your course for details on exam proctoring options.