SBI4U Biology – Grade 12 (Univserity)
PREREQUISITE: Biology, Grade 11, University Preparation
GRADE: 12 (University)
AVAILABILITY: Full-time – All Campuses, Part-time – All Campuses, Private – All campuses, Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARION CURRICULUM: Science
SBI4U online provides students with the opportunity for in-depth study of the concepts and processes that occur in biological systems. Students will study theory and conduct investigations in the areas of biochemistry, metabolic processes, molecular genetics, homeostasis, and population dynamics. In SBI4U online, emphasis will be placed on the achievement of detailed knowledge and the refinement of skills needed for further study in various branches of the life sciences and related fields.
- In this unit, students will learn about electronegativity and intermolecular forces. Students will also learn about organic compounds and the importance of functional groups. Students will investigate macromolecules including carbohydrates, lipids, proteins and nucleic acids. Students will take a closer look at enzymes and enzyme activity as well as the different parts of a cell and their functions including membrane structure, function and transport.
Unit TwoMetabolic Processes
- In this unit, students will learn about metabolic processes including cellular respiration and it’s various stages. Students will also learn about Photosynthesis and light dependent and light independent reactions.
UNIT THREEMolecular Genetics
- In this unit, students will learn about the structure of DNA and RNA as well as DNA replication. They will learn about protein synthesis; transcription and translation. Students will investigate gene regulation and how mutations occur. Students will also learn about various biotechnological tools and techniques.
- In this unit, students will learn about homeostasis and it’s significance. Students will also learn about the nervous system and the functions of both the central and peripheral nervous systems. They will investigate the endocrine system and learn about the hormones that affect their blood sugar, stress and metabolism. Students will also learn about the different reproductive hormones. Students will learn about the excretory system and why it is important for their bodies to excrete wastes.
UNIT FIVEPopulation Dynamics
- In this unit, students will learn about population dynamics. Students will investigate the changes in population, factors that regulate natural populations and the effects of human population growth, personal consumption and technological development.
- This project is one of the final evaluations of SBI4U online. This project will be worth 5% of the final grade.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of SBI4U online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are three options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- ARRANGE YOUR OWN PROCTOR: If you want to arrange a proctor yourself, you can do that. The proctor will need to be approved by us and will need to supervise the exam at his or her place of work, or at a public place such as a library. Some libraries and study centres offer this service themselves. The proctor must be approved by us and must be a working professional (eg teacher, doctor, businessperson, and must provide a work email address for correspondence (no Gmail, Hotmail, etc.). Please note that the final exam cannot be proctored by a family member or by a tutor for that specific subject. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Select Arranging My Own Proctor and proceed to schedule your exam.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email email@example.com if you need assistance.