SCH3U Chemistry – Grade 11 (University)
PREREQUISITE: Science, Grade 10, Academic
GRADE: 11 (University)
AVAILABILITY: Full-time – All Campuses, Part-time – All campuses, Private – All campuses, Blyth Academy Online
THE ONTARIO CURRICULUM: Science
SCH3U online enables students to deepen their understanding of chemistry through the study of the properties of chemicals and chemical bonds; chemical reactions and quantitative relationships in those reactions; solutions and solubility; and atmospheric chemistry and the behaviour of gases. In SCH3U online, students will further develop their analytical skills and investigate the qualitative and quantitative properties of matter, as well as the impact of some common chemical reactions on society and the environment.
UNIT ONEMatter, Periodic Trends, and Chemical Bonding
- In this unit, students will investigate the physical and chemical properties and naming of elements and compounds. Students will use various methods to visually represent them. A more in-depth look at the atomic model and how subatomic particles impact the overall physical and chemical properties of each element will be performed.
UNIT TWOChemical Reactions
- In this unit, students will discover how to predict products of chemical reactions. Students will apply their knowledge and perform simulated laboratory experiments with the goal of producing a specific substance. Students will apply their understanding in analyzing Green Chemistry applications in industry and everyday life.
UNIT THREEMole and Reaction Stoichiometry
- In this unit, students will learn that chemistry deals with quantities of matter, measured in units of the gram or the litre or the “chemist’s dozen” – the mole. Stoichiometry is the chemist’s method of calculating quantities of matter needed for chemical reactions. Students will design and perform several simulated labs, each increasing in complexity leading up to a culminating activity in which they will design a lab to produce a specific amount of product.
UNIT FOURGases and Atmospheric Chemistry
- In this unit, students will study gases to see how a theory of submicroscopic molecules can be used to explain macroscopic experimental observations. This understanding will be built through analysis of lab demonstrations and individual problem-solving tasks. Stoichiometry problems use the concept of the mole to compare quantities of substances in chemical equations – such quantities may include volumes of gases at various conditions of temperature and pressure. Through calculations and research, students will be able to explain the safety concerns involved with compressed gases and analyze applications related to atmospheric chemistry.
UNIT FIVESolutions, Solubility, Acids and Bases
- In this unit, students will gain the knowledge base to explain why water is such a good solvent. Water is one of the most remarkable chemical substances. One of its most important properties is its ability to dissolve other substances to form aqueous solutions. Calculating the exact concentrations of solutions such as acids and bases is of critical importance to many healthcare professionals. Students will develop the skills to determine the concentration of a solution and its potential effect on the environment or the human body.
FINAL EXAMProctored Exam
- This exam is the final evaluation of SCH3U online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours. There are two options for taking the exam:
- WRITE EXAM AT BLYTH ACADEMY CAMPUS: If you live close to a Blyth Academy Campus, or if you attend a Blyth Academy Campus, you can take your exam there. Once inside the exam scheduling interface, please click Login/Create Account. Check for an available time and date at the campus of your choosing. The earliest available date will be open within the next 3-5 business days. You cannot book an exam in more than one campus or multiple times at the same campus. You will receive an automatic confirmation email with next steps and exam information. You can cancel and reschedule anytime using the same link.
- USE EXAMITY PROCTORING SERVICE: For a fee of 22 USD*, students can arrange to take their exam in the comfort of their own home, at any time, on any day. Please select Examity Exam in the exam section of your course to set up your Examity profile and schedule your exam. Exams must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. *Price is subject to change.
- Please email email@example.com if you need assistance.